Solicitor cashed mortgage cheque before completion

Dunners

We're in the process of purchasing a house in Dublin and have almost completed. Along the way we changed our minds about holding on to our previous property and decided to get bridging instead of an equity release.

All fine - just needed to sort out the bridging then.... However, from that point onwards, there seemed to be one delay after another with solicitor - he required the title deeds from existing property (fair enough, but he could have asked us for those a week earlier); didn't send the required documentation to the bank regarding bridging until at least a week after he was asked to do so - etc, etc.

The bank today told me that he actually received the mortgage cheque from them 2 weeks ago and lodged it 3 days later. This means that our mortgage now became effective from mid-August (before we had even completed!) and even worse, 550eur has accrued in interest on the mortgage for a property we don't even own yet! Can he legally do this, knowing that the purchase is not imminently ready for completion?

I presume I can ask him to deduct this cost from their legal fees. Is there anything else I need to do? We should hopefully be closing tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

Thanks...

Back