sole trader and state benefit

A

anewgo

I have been made redunant (paye worker)
I now plan to start my own business as a sole trader. I will earn very little money starting out as I have to build my business and will most likely be working 3 half days a week. Can I claim state benefit for the days I dotn work? Maybe this doesnt make sense I am unsue. I have paid taxes for the last 13 yrs and have never been on the dole so I have no clue how things work. My husband works full time and earns 56k so dont know if this will be taken in to consideration.

If you are available for work and genuinly seeking work you may be entitled to part JB for the days you have no work. I think you should explain your situation to your SW office. By the way it is more beneficial from a SW point of view to work 2 full days than 3 half days.
Would you consider doing some part time work (PAYE) while setting up your business as it means you would remain in the PRSI system which will preserve your entitlement to Illness Benefit, JB, Pension, PAYE tax credit etc.

it doesnt make sense income wise as we have 2 childern and the chikd care would be 280 full time per wk.
I f I start as sole trader and start earning do I not still have tax credits like PAYE workers? Credits that I can pass on to my husband for instance to bring up his SCROP.

I have been made redunant (paye worker)
I now plan to start my own business as a sole trader. I will earn very little money starting out as I have to build my business and will most likely be working 3 half days a week. Can I claim state benefit for the days I dotn work? Maybe this doesnt make sense I am unsue. I have paid taxes for the last 13 yrs and have never been on the dole so I have no clue how things work. My husband works full time and earns 56k so dont know if this will be taken in to consideration.

I'm self employed but often work as a PAYE worker depending on my contract. This means I get means tested should I require job seekers benefit when unemployed. You will be means tested if you apply after you've registered as a sole trader, this usually means them coming to your house and going through your income and your husbands. I was given the line "someone will call within the next four days between 9am - 2pm" but luckily they didn't have time to call to me and I went to meet them instead. Still it's not an easy process.

Back