"Sold as Seen" car. Have I been done?

Again, AndyDub,
The warning bells went off as soon as this was described Sold as Seen. Your mechanic in all fairness also would not have known this would happen, the reason Sold an Seen would apply is there has to be a high risk problems will surface. Again this has to be reflected in the price. What is not known, is what was the difference in the retail price and Your price?? and will it compensate the repairs. Hope it does.

Thats really an interpretation and not at all how the car is described in the original advertistment. I wanted a family car, and I bought one which is described as such and described to be in perfect working order, its not what I ended up with.
If it was described as perfect WORKING order then you should have a case. If it was perfect CONDITION I think I'd understand that as being visibly perfect ie. paintwork, seats, etc.
What is the asthetic/visible condition of the car?

Thats really an interpretation and not at all how the car is described in the original advertistment. I wanted a family car, and I bought one which is described as such and described to be in perfect working order, its not what I ended up with.
If it was described as perfect WORKING order then you should have a case. If it was perfect CONDITION I think I'd understand that as being visibly perfect ie. paintwork, seats, etc.
What is the asthetic/visible condition of the car?

"Faults - repair, replacement, refund...
If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as "No Refunds" or "No Exchanges".
Some shops display these notices during the sales. But remember that these kinds of notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act... "

As the above refers to goods sold by shops (or the like) ,the reference is to new goods which may have faults and not to secondhand goods .

As the above refers to goods sold by shops (or the like) ,the reference is to new goods which may have faults and not to secondhand goods .
Incorrect - the situation described by OP is within the scope of the 1980 act. Reference - [broken link removed]

Incorrect - the situation described by OP is within the scope of the 1980 act. Reference

I stand corrected, Mathepac, . As a lot of dealers only guarantee for 6 months, does this mean that the Act does not apply after 6 months ?

if you find a fault with the car after you have bought it the dealer is the person who must set matters right

The above Act does not state a time limit..

Incorrect - the situation described by OP is within the scope of the 1980 act. Reference - [broken link removed]

Thank you very much for that link. I've just had a chat with somebody on their helpline and it seems I do have a case, basically no matter what I've signed I can't sign away my statutory rights.

you bought as seen,you got it checked out and were happy with the transaction.your stuck with it now.

I do think that it's very unfair your paid 4k for a car and only got 2 weeks out of it.

But..... i dont think the garage sold the car knowing this was going to happen. You even had someone look at the car for you, so he thought everything was ok.

The time that you purchased the car it was in working order, it was only 2 weeks later that something went wrong. Didn't the garage give any sort of guarantee?

You said you got someone else to fix the car for you, why not the garage you got it from? I would of though they would at least given you a good discount on the work...obviously not.

Name and shame them, especially in these times not many people buying cars at the moment, the last thing they need is bad worth of mouth.

I hope you do manage to get a good outcome from this.

Back