Solar, wood pellet & underfloor heating

I understand all wood pellets are currently imported from Northern Ireland Germany or Austria and will be so for some years to come. Not very green...

Rats: they can eat concrete too, I can tell you from personal experience. However it takes them longer which is one reason why I would never buy or build a timber frame house in Ireland.

They like any warm chewable habitat where there is also food nearby (your garden compost heap?) so I would think they'd only love a store of wood pellets. Terriers are, as a cat lover I'm sorry to say, rather better than cats at keeping them under control. Storm is essential though smelly when they die and rather cruel. I use it every year.

Imogen (very rural dweller)

I understand all Wood Pellet are currently imported from Northern Ireland Germany or Austria and will be so for some years to come. Not very green...

Rats: they can eat concrete too, I can tell you from personal experience. However it takes them longer which is one reason why I would never buy or build a timber frame house in Ireland.

They like any warm chewable habitat where there is also food nearby (your garden compost heap?) so I would think they'd only love a store of wood pellets. Terriers are, as a cat lover I'm sorry to say, rather better than cats at keeping them under control. Storm is essential though smelly when they die and rather cruel. I use it every year.

Imogen (very rural dweller)

I heard there are a few new plants to open in ireland that will be producing wood pellets...

I put in solar and gas - geothermal (of whatever kind you choose to call it....) does not stack up, financially, not at current installation pricing and electricity pricing.

Woodpellet - I discounted for reasons of amount of handling, aggro, storage and stories about supply, or the lack of............

Oil - fundamentally unsuitable for UFH, and too dear anyway - although the boilers themselves are reasonable to buy.

OP - which 'Aquatech' is that - the co in Cork? I have UFH for 10 years, bought from Aquatech (?) in Cork, and it's been very good. I have a dormer too, and I made the boob of putting rads upstairs. Never again.

Come to think of it - Dormer, never again, either...........which explains why my new house is 2-storey.

Hi galwaytt,

I'mm hoping to start our new house shortly, and am looking at UF, possibly with a combination of radiators upstairs. Just wondering why you wouldn't put rads upstairs again?

Thanks

Back