Solar, wood pellet & underfloor heating

B

brianmcskane

I plan to build a new house in 2007 and am considering what heating system to go with. I was thinking of wood peller boiler along with solar panels as hot water supplement. I also am keen on using underfloor heating. There are a lot of suppliers out there but I'm more concerned with what model/make to go with for each of the mentioned systems. I've got brochures for Aquatech who supply and install wood pellet boilers, solar panels and underfloor heating. Their wood peller boiler is an Italian make called D'alessandro, solar panels are 'Polar Bear' and the underfloor equipment is just 'Aquatech'. If anyone can recommend good manufacturers for each of the above then I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

If you have underfloor heating then why not use geothermal heating?

Geothermal heating is still not available in Ireland. Check the meaning of the term "geothermal heating" by contacting the international geothermal association. Their web page is here: [broken link removed]
Get a real civil engineer or a real heating advisor and ask them for further advice. Check also the previous posts here on AAM as well as the SEI home page.
Insulate your home down to zero energy demand if possible. Plan a "zero energy" home or an "energy plus" home to make it future proof.

I think you're splitting hairs here, heinbloed. If it comes from the ground, can we not agree to call it geothermal, whether the original source is molten lava, geysers or residual heat absorbed from the sun? My "geothermal" system, in a cold part of Ireland, seems to be working well.

Agreeing on reason. O.k.. But agreeing on ignoring international standards? Why? What's next then, calling a dog a cat, a pear an apple , just because they're growing in our backgarden? So we can be proud of it?
Check also the IEA home page for the various forms of energy we humans are making use of.
The term "geothermal energy" used for solar energy stored temporaly in the subsoil, would that allow us to use the term "solar energy" for nuclear power, for coal? Or for timber?
It might make the sales mens catalogue look more comprehensive. But it certainly casts sand into the eys of the consumer. Like the war for peace or similar idiotic terms. Good enough to lure the simple mind's money into the hands of those fighting clear and open competition.

Heinbloed,
can you tell me how to make a dormer 'zero energy'..or where I can find out please? I've read some of your posts over the last few days; well informed, so I'd value your opinion.

brianmcskane,
I think you need to get an analysis done on your soil first to see if a heat pump can be used - so i was told last week at the self-build expo.
It's something I'm looking into

The term "geothermal energy" used for solar energy stored temporaly in the subsoil, would that allow us to use the term "solar energy" for nuclear power, for coal? Or for timber?

A good point, and I'm all for accuracy. The IGA does indeed refer to geothermal heat pumps in [broken link removed]

To Extopia:
So even the IGA has fallen to the trap with this one article about Ireland. A heatpump that is tapping into stored solar heat is a heatpump tapping into stored solar heat. One wouldn't need to use the backgarden or the soil as such. A storage tank holding warm water or gravel or top soil or sand heated up by solar radiation and tapped into with the aid of a heatpump-would that be then called geothermal heat as well? Think logic.
And to Turtle77:
Try the following link, click on the "english" flag: www.passiv.de
Or try as well the SEI page, http://www.sei.ie/
Or check google for the terms "passive house" or "zero energy house".

I am running an oil boiler underfloor heating system for just over a year and was holding off on putting a heatpump / wood burning system until the grants became available and with oil going up and up its time for a change
Has anyone changed over from oil to either of these systems if not is there anyone else thinking of doing this?
or which one would you recommend

Hi, am afraid not an answer to any questions, however am about to install Polytherm (Heattrack) Underfloor heating in my 2000ft square home...is partially new build and partial renovation...wondering if anyone has any recent comment on this...big prob is we are determined to put in wood pellet boiler to run it and cannot make a reasonable and economic decision...we need to house it in the utility room, currently considering the Benekov ..., and have pellet store in garden...this is also a problem as cannot decide on what type of storage to use...all v expensive for bulk outdoor.....have read loads of previous info on this site and v informative just hoping someone can shed further light on all my dilemmas.....
Cheers,
FifiB

I noticed people are confused about Renewable Energy Options, a very good company just started in Meath offering independent advice to Architects and Public as consultancy service (not too expensive considering savings potential from advice, I know of several that have saved themselves thousands on installation and wrong options,they are Kyron Energy and Power [broken link removed]

As previously posted independent advice as consultancy service from new comapny called Kyron Energy and Power in Co Meath [broken link removed], they personally saved me 4k on installation cost, change in site orientation for some of my proposed systems and 40% on running cost from their advice

Hi CBLAD, plese don't double post. Also, in accordance with the , could you confirm whether you have any association with that company other than as a satisfied customer?
Thanks,
Leo

Sorry Leo for the dupliaction, a current PC issue, no vested intreast, I was put in touch with them by house designer

The big issue with wood pellet is do you have a reliable supply of pellets? Look at www.sei.ie for a list of suppliers and call the ones closest to you to get an idea of availability and price.

The second big issue is bulk storage (assuming you have a local supplier who can blow a ton or so of pellets at a time - similar to an oil delivery - into your storage area). If you have to use bagged pellets the costs are a lot higher than bulk, but again check with your local suppliers.

Spend the money on the storage area if you have room for bulk storage, and remember damp pellets are useless.

No evidence for this afaik. Rats are attracted by food sources, and they don't eat wood. Wasn't the oil company who told you this, was it?

Im afraid that rats do eat wood. Apparently they need to - something about stalling growth of their teeth.

A product called Storm is essential kit and will solve any vermin problem. Or a good cat!

Rats need to do a lot of gnawing all right but I don't think wood pellets would do the job for them - too brittle. Rats are ATTRACTED by food sources, not wood. Presumably they'll do their gnawing close to the nest or on the route to and from the food source.