Solar Panel Temps?

ciaranie

Hi, my solar panel temps have fallen alot since my system was installed. Can anyone tell me what temp I should be getting in July on a sunny day? Very rarely get above 60degrees at the panel. Got 80 degrees once in March so I was expecting more in July.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it depend on the temperature of your cylinder starting out in the morning. You probably had the heating on in March so the tank wasn't starting out from Cold , now with the heating off , 60C is more than enough, you will burn your hands off the water other wise. We have panels in & they get to approx 60C on real sunny days.

Check that the panel is clean - is there much dirt/dust after accumulating? Give a clean & see how it goes.

The temperature at the bottom of the tank shouldn't effect the temperature at the panel? If it's sunny should the panel not be quite a high temperature? Though the same about cleaning, so I cleaned them to know avail.

I have been getting 70C on my solar tubes all week and there was hardly any sun shinning at all.

Bertie1's right. Turned the boiler on and the temps went up. Getting 65c all day. Only thing I noticed is that the tank cools down in the evening as the solar temp drops then then the boiler fires up. Not supposed to let the tank drop below 55c because of legionella but the solar can't keep it above it even when sunny all day it drops back at night. Anyone else have this happening?

you only need 60 deg once a week, not every day. check the pressure is over 2 bar, if it overheated once some pressure might have been lost and then the system needs repressurizing

What about the controller . I have noticed that when the electricity goes off ( which has happenend here a lot in the last 2 months with the thunder in the air & the heavy showers) that the controller reverts back to its factory settings.
The controller on my system is also designed for the continent where they do not have a pressurised system & there is a facility for the system to pump water back up to the panels for a couple of hours at night which will cool down your hot water tank very fast.
When the electricity goes off as well as resetting clocks around the house I now have to go out to the boiler house & change the pumping time on the solar controller not to pump at night.
If this were happening then the water tank would be cooler in the morning thence not as high temperatures in the evening.

Back