Software Licensing

O

Ocras

Have an idea for a small software solution for a certain sector in the Irish Market. Plan might be to sell cheaply and try to reap profits in numbers.

If I was to get it outsourced and then own the product, what steps would I take to get it legally Licensed in Ireland. I would just like to make sure that only company/purchasers would be legally entitled to use it. I don't think I have the resources for the MS type of unique licensing codes.

There are two separate issues here
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>The legal issues involved in creating a suitable licensing legal end user or reseller agreement</li><li>The logistical issue of protecting your software against unauthorised use</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->
Many companies simply rely in the first and don't bother with the second. Those that do tend to use stuff like activation codes, license servers or even stuff like [broken link removed] (ugh! :x ). Perhaps somebody like the [broken link removed] can provide you with more information/assistance?

I wouldn't bother about the second point above. People still pirate Microsoft products, and MS must spend millions trying to protect their software.

If people are going to go to the bother of illegaly copying software, they probably weren't going to buy it in the first place.

If you really want to go down the protection route, check out armadillo: [broken link removed]

I would be more worried about funding the development.

Back