Social Housing Waiting List

I

Izzy

Hi,
Apologies if this is in the wrong area.
I've applied for social housing and am wondering how long it generally takes to be placed on the waiting list? I took a couple months off from renting in order to have my baby- I stayed at a relatives. And in order to qualify for rent allowance I have to be on the social housing waiting list....

(Im not too interested in how long the actual waiting list takes, im pretty sure I'll have emigrated by the time that would happen anyway!!)

Thanks in advance

It depends on what county or city council area you live - a housing needs assessment can take several months.

If you rented privately for 6 of the last 12 months and could afford the rent at the time, then you don't need the housing needs assessment in order to apply for Rent Supplement.

Under the Social Housing Assessment Regulations 2011, once you have submitted a complete application form to the local authority, the local authority must deal with the application within 12 weeks from when they receive it, or if they can't, they must tell you why, and they can extend this by a maximum of 14 weeks. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0084.html

Folks

It's a bit odd that there is so little discussion of the social housing process on askaboutmoney?

I did a search and most of the questions seemed to of the sort "I don't want social housing in my estate" type.

Given that there are around 100,000 on the waiting list, I thought it should be a much more active subject.

I was advising someone who had surrendered their home to the bank, on applying for social housing or rent allowance, and the process was extraordinarily frustrating with conflicting information coming from different employees of the council.

Would a Key Post be appropriate or is the information easy to get somewhere else?

Brendan

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, even though I had been in rental property for 5 straight years before this, for part of the last 12 months I was living with my (ex) boyfriend in a property owned by his family so I didnt have to pay rent. At the time I didn't think about rent allowance as in the past I hadn't needed it.

Very good to know that they have to process it within 12 weeks. I'm at almost 8 weeks now.

Thanks again, if anyone had any tips on how to speed up an app it would be greatly appreciated as well! Myself and my son are staying in a friends spare room at the moment and Im close to overstaying my welcome!

For me it took more than 1 year just to get receipt, that they got my papers and ask for some papers more. Im not going wait another 10 years to place me in waiting list-im going to write a complaint to ombudsman office. I read, that people with disability has priority to get social house, but in reality i dont feel this way..

Back