Social Affordable Housing: Who can apply for this and how?

sully

Hi there,

Just wondering what are the requirements for social affordable housing. I know you have to earn under AFAIK 38k for single and 76k joint. But does this have to be your first home?

What sort of waiting period are we talking about?

Is there ways to speed up the applications. Ie have kids etc etc..

seems to only apply to FTB, its terrible that FTB seem to get all the breaks. there is nothing for people moving house for reasons beyond their control and to be hit by stamp duty as well.

Non first time buyer owner occupiers of new houses under 125sqm are exempt from stamp duty if that's any use to you?

You haven't explained your situation but on the offchance that it's a marriage breakup situation then you may be able to retain your FTB status even if you bought a house before. Revenue allow for this.

Thanks Clubman for the advice.

I am aware of the stamp duty thing its just that i personally think that there is better value to be got by going second hand. bigger gardens better built houses etc. also i think that builders are aware of no stamp for owner occupiers of new property and price accordingly...

Anyway thanks again, and no its not a marriage breakup, mrs sully is a very happy woman the last time i checked:D

sully said:
there is nothing for people moving house for reasons beyond their control and to be hit by stamp duty as well.

But since they are already home owners it would seem odd to subsidise them to buy a new house or am I missing something here? The rationale behind the affordable housing and other schemes is to enable hard pressed, usually low income FTBs to acquire their own home. Can you expand on the reasons beyond your control necessitating that you move house?

Back