So much for EU 'democracy'

A

ajapale

Hi Blue,

Do you have a problem with this democracy in action?

Barroso withdraws Commission nominations
27 October 2004 10:26
Incoming European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso has withdrawn his proposed team of Commissioners.

The vote on the Commission, which had been due to take place in the European Parliament at 11am Irish time, will now be postponed and a new team will be proposed.

ajapale

Why does anybody even assume that the EU Commission is a democratic institution? These people are appointed and not elected in the first place even if they have to get the OK of elected MEPs in the EU Parliament! It's even less democratic than our Seanad which is elected by a restricted franchise... :|

I was referring to the European Parliament exercising (or threatening to exercize) its democratically derived mandate. This can only be a good thing.

ajapale

I can't see what all the fuss is about this guy.

Last night on Vincent Browne one of the MP's suggested that it was fine for him to hold these views privately as long as his "public views" were in line with the EU principles.

But that's hyprocisy. I'd much rather know where a politician stood. If his views were popular enough then there would be enough like minded MEP's to ratify him.

The fact is that this is exactly what democracy is about. Baroso stupidly put forward a candidate who's beliefs were likely to be unpopular with a majority of MEPs.

Had he appointed this man to another position I'm sure a majority of MEP's would have decided that although they disagreed with his beliefs, they could still accept him in a role where those beliefs were not relevant.

I don't buy this nonsence about the EU not being able to tolerate other beliefs, etc. Or being anti-religous or anti-Catholic.

Would the MEP's be expected to accept a communist in a financial portfolio???? In the Interests of inclusion???? Of course not. Perhaps we should tolerate commissioners who believe that whites are the superior race, to do otherwise would show intolerance and prejudice. Nonsence. It's perfectly acceptable to intolerant of the intolerant.

You'd be hard pressed to find a majority of Catholics who share this mans beliefs, much less a majority of Europeans.

When the day comes that the Catholic Churches bigotry is accepted by a majority of Europeans, then there will be enough Bigoted MEP's to ratify nominations like this.

Until then, Y'all are just going to have to accept that Europe is a Secular Liberal Society, and the Catholic Church's beliefs are incompatible with the beliefs of the society as a whole.

Far from a crisis, this is the EU showing that it works.
It's a confirmation of Europes Liberal Secular position, which
I welcome.

-Rd

Most of the discussion of this issue in the media has completely overlooked the point that this is an issue of appointment and not of democratic selection. As such it's a bit of a storm in a teacup. The question of the EU poking its nose into a democratic country's affairs when they elected the "wrong" people to government (e.g. Austria when Jorge Haider) is of more immediate concern to those Europeans who value democratic ideals.

Back