Snapped cruciate ligament

B

Baz

Anyone out there had surgery to repair a snapped crutiate ligament recently? Am having mine done in a couple of months (Hurson, Blackrock Clinic) & would appreciate any comments/advice etc both re pre and post op

Cheers

Hi Baz,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Think we had a thread on this a long time ago but its gone from the board, perhaps this might give some advice.

I'm sure some of our sports minded enthusiasts will also give their advice/views in due course.

Hope your surgery goes well and the recovery.

I tore mine four years ago in a GAA match & had it repaired by the same Consultant in the Blackrock Clinic. I was 37 yrs when it happened & was a bit apprehensive on whether I should get it repaired or not, seeing as I was nearing the end of my playing days.
Four years on & I'm absolutely delighted I got it repaired & my knee is stronger than ever & still playing GAA (junior!) & soccer.
The success of the operation is a combination of the Surgeon's skill & your own commitment to rehabilitation of the knee through regular exercise.
The affected leg muscles weaken considerably after the operation & its important to build these up again. Get a (Sports) Physio who will draw up an exercise plan for you and if not already you'll need to become a member of a gym.
This was a major operation over 10 years ago but not nearly as invasive now.
Best wishes.

Is it your own ligament they are using from your lower leg, or is it a donor ligament...think when my friend got it done it was a donor ligament and the benefit was that you only have one site operated on...much the same as getting a heart bypass, its where they take the vein from in that case thats as bloody sore as the chest from what I have read.

Re: Snapped crutiate ligament

i am also getting my cruciate ligament on fourth of may in the bonsecura. i have heard a story about my surgeon where the person that got theirs done has not recovered four years later and still has trouble walking. if anyone has had their cruaciate ligament done in the bonsecura and has a success story and the dr.s name i would really apreciate it. i am very nervous but know that i have to get it done to continue palying sport. i would also liek to ask about recovery time and how long it took you to get back in to sport. i do gaelic soccer horseriding and baskeball and really want to know when i'll be back. thanks a million

Got Mine Done By Ray Moran In Blackrock I Was Back Playing Rugby After A Year An A Half.
If You Can Do Any Exercise With The Ligament At The Moment Without Doing More Damage To It Swimmimg Or Cycling Low Impact It Helps In The Recovery.
If You Stick To The Physio Afetrwards All Should Be Fine.

Best Of Luck

Back