Smelly waiter - What would you do ?

twofor1

I was in a well regarded pub / restaurant last night for an outdoor meal, the waiter did not smell the best.

First night out in a long time, two couples in our group.

The waiter was young, friendly and efficient, I would guess a student working part time.

The food and service was great.

All four noticed the body odour, said nothing and a tip was left.

What would you do ?

Similar to what you guys did. Embarrassing for the young lad and I personally wouldn't be able to say anything. If you and your friends smelled the BO, then i'm sure his boss will as well. Not a lot more you can do really.

As a manager, I've had to deal with this a couple of times, probably the most difficult issue to deal with. Hi- can we talk about an issue, you stink ! (OK, I put it much better then that). In both occassions the person had a background issue and we were able to help them but it is still a mortifying discussion, especially with young people. Competent manager in the pub should be noticing this and dealing with it.

Anything that makes guests/diners uncomfortable must be brought to the attention of the manager/owner. It's up to them to deal with it.

I certainly would not have left a tip but would have spoken with whoever was in charge discreetly.

What happened to staff meetings, debriefs or individual chats at shift changes or when someone comes on duty? Too busy to do it? Then I've news for you, you're not managing.

Back