Is it dangerous to do a wash overnight?

Some very glib comments on this thread. Having seen the damage a "small" daytime fire caused in my parents house, how quickly it happened, and the awful experience they had, I would never risk it. I have also looked after burns victims and those memories will never leave me, it is an appalling thing to endure.

No-one is saying phones and laptops are 100% safe but it's a question of degree, timing, and cost:benefit.

Dryers, washing machines, dishwashers are particularly dangerous because they heat up quickly and produce a lot of heat, so if they go on fire it's a big one.

These appliances will do more damage, more quickly. If you have a fire at night you are more likely to be injured/die and the damage to your home will be greater. Running them overnight does not save that much money, except for the heaviest of users, and even then it's maybe 3 figures? Not worth it.

My washing machine is on all the time. I have two daughters. I think they've a costume change two or three times a day. All my children do their own washing so I don't know how often it is used but a minimum of ten washes a week.
I run the dishwasher, washing machine and drier at night. With the amount of phones, laptops and ipads etc left plugged in all night, and in some cases for days at a time, the appliances are the least of my worries.
It's advisable to switch off your burgalar alarm at night too, in case it goes on fire. And, of course, your fire alarm, if it's connected to the mains. Not forgetting your tv, your fridge and your freezer. Microwave ovens are incredibly dangerous if left plugged in overnight. Never, ever recharge your electric car at night. It's lethal! And remember to remove your hearing aids before you go to bed, because if there's a thunderstorm, they could be struck by lightning.
I genuinely don't get this mindset. Maybe it's because I too have two daughters who were sleeping on couches and spare beds for 3 months after the house went on fire when an electrical fault in the dishwasher caused it to overheat. I regularly think I'm lucky because it happened when we were out of the house, and shudder to think how I was going to get us all down the stairs and out of the house if I had remembered to put the machine on going to bed at night, like I was supposed to.

Sure, we have smoke alarms, and if your lucky they'll wake you in time, and if your luckier you'll get out before the smoke engulfs the house.

I'm not preaching - just saying. Don't run these machines when you're asleep in bed. It takes a bit of effort and organising I know, but trust me, rebuilding a house after a fire takes a hell of a lot more.

Yesterday I had a look at the meters as I realised I hadn't signed up for the water yet. But then I noticed the electric has a night and day tarrif that I hadn't realised. Too dizzy from moving home I suppose.

Coincidental, and not uncommon for me, I put on the dishwasher around 11 pm. Generally charge the phone or ipad too at night. Often put on washing and dishwasher when leaving. Have been known to leave a roast in the oven while popping out for half an hour.

Do I go around switching off stuff at night, never, except for lights.

I had a look at Electric Ireland

Dishwasher

By running your dishwasher at a lower temperature setting you will save on your energy costs, as most of the energy used by a dishwasher is for heating the water. Make sure you fill the dishwasher before switching it on to avoid wasting water and energy. By using the dishwasher during off-peak times (11pm-8am) you will save on CO2 emissions from power stations.

In the interests of fairness I got this:

Did you know?
Last year in England, 1,873* fires were connected to using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers?

So their source is this:

Every year, over half of accidental domestic fires in the UK are caused by electricity. Most of these are caused by electrical products, either through misuse or faults. Over half of these electrical fires start in the kitchen, with cooking appliances and white goods the main cause.

Now will this make me change the way I do things. No.

I genuinely don't get this mindset. Maybe it's because I too have two daughters who were sleeping on couches and spare beds for 3 months after the house went on fire when an electrical fault in the dishwasher caused it to overheat. I regularly think I'm lucky because it happened when we were out of the house, and shudder to think how I was going to get us all down the stairs and out of the house if I had remembered to put the machine on going to bed at night, like I was supposed to.

Sure, we have smoke alarms, and if your lucky they'll wake you in time, and if your luckier you'll get out before the smoke engulfs the house.

I'm not preaching - just saying. Don't run these machines when you're asleep in bed. It takes a bit of effort and organising I know, but trust me, rebuilding a house after a fire takes a hell of a lot more.
I'm in a rented house at the moment and I've too many kids.

Last year in England, 1,873* fires were connected to using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers?
Maybe 25 million households in England with 50 million washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers between them. Maybe an average of 500 runs a year across all three types goods so 25 billion usages with 1,873 fires.

So something like a 0.000007% risk of fire per run, or you’d have to make a million machine runs before you’d have a fire on average.

You can play with my assumptions if you like to get different results but it’s a better approach than anecdote and hunch of which there is a lot on this thread.

Maybe 25 million households in England with 50 million washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers between them. Maybe an average of 500 runs a year across all three types goods so 25 billion usages with 1,873 fires.

So something like a 0.000007% risk of fire per run, or you’d have to make a million machine runs before you’d have a fire on average.

You can play with my assumptions if you like to get different results but it’s a better approach than anecdote and hunch of which there is a lot on this thread.
Honestly if I thought a washing machine was a fire risk I'd put a stool in the utility and watch it in action. Just in case.

From one of the links I googled, it seems to me the biggest issue might be thumble dryers where the lint is not cleaned. I don't have one and I don't have the headspace to start wondering if a modern machine, properly plumbed and connected to the electricity, in an property with numerous escape routes and working fire alarms means I can't go to bed in peace with the machines running.

Most serious actual fires in homes I know of were due to dodgy wiring, probably too many dodge extension leads (I buy the best with switches), smokers, actual fireplace incidents .......... not modern appliances.

We can't stop all fires, but we can mitigate the risks. Most of us on here are sensible enough to have smoke and gas alarms, to not run a dodgy 2 bar electric heater off a dodgy wires out electric cable from a 1970's wired socket.

Every bedroom I have now is possible to leave from thru the window. In my last place that was possible, but it was on a 3rd floor. From standard Irish homes that would be the 2nd floor.

What I love about the modern eco warriors is that they want to be driven everywhere and wouldn't dream of turning off the lights. There would be war in my house if I tried to stop them charging their phones etc. Instead I make sure the sockets are modern and the extension leads if used are good quality. Ironically my kids tell me the iphones heat up too much in my new car as the second for it is in the direction of the sunlight, so they all put their phones on top of the glove compartment. This is one generation that know how to prevent their phones overheating.

Honestly if I thought a washing machine was a fire risk I'd put a stool in the utility and watch it in action. Just in case.

From one of the links I googled, it seems to me the biggest issue might be thumble dryers where the lint is not cleaned. I don't have one and I don't have the headspace to start wondering if a modern machine, properly plumbed and connected to the electricity, in an property with numerous escape routes and working fire alarms means I can't go to bed in peace with the machines running.

Most serious actual fires in homes I know of were due to dodgy wiring, probably too many dodge extension leads (I buy the best with switches), smokers, actual fireplace incidents .......... not modern appliances.

We can't stop all fires, but we can mitigate the risks. Most of us on here are sensible enough to have smoke and gas alarms, to not run a dodgy 2 bar electric heater off a dodgy wires out electric cable from a 1970's wired socket.

Every bedroom I have now is possible to leave from thru the window. In my last place that was possible, but it was on a 3rd floor. From standard Irish homes that would be the 2nd floor.
The question in this thread is whether or not doing a wash overnight is dangerous. My answer to that is Yes, based on my reality of a modern appliance in a modern house with no faulty wiring overheating and going on fire.

Your answers to that question are clearly No, based on what you've googled and your perception of risk. Mine would have been the same.

However my reality was altered when it happened, therefore my answer to the question is based on my reality.

Run it at night all you want, and you'll probably be fine. I'm just saying that they can, and do, go on fire.

I just hope that nothing ever happens to your or your families that alters your answer to this question.

The question in this thread is whether or not doing a wash overnight is dangerous. My answer to that is Yes, based on my reality of a modern appliance in a modern house with no faulty wiring overheating and going on fire.

Your answers to that question are clearly No, based on what you've googled and your perception of risk. Mine would have been the same.

However my reality was altered when it happened, therefore my answer to the question is based on my reality.

Run it at night all you want, and you'll probably be fine. I'm just saying that they can, and do, go on fire.

I just hope that nothing ever happens to your or your families that alters your answer to this question.
There's just reality, it's not yours or mine. I don't have a reality and you don't have one either. Your perception of risk changed. Quite understandable.

I used to be a nervous flier. Then I did a bit of googling and found out that there are about 2.2 billion passengers in commercial aircraft each year and the odds of your plane crashing is one in 1.2 million. Around half of all passengers survive crashes. That means you've a one in 2.4 million chance of dying in a crash every time you take off. I'm sure if I'd survived a crash or someone close to me had been killed in one I'd still be nervous getting on a plane.

My answer to that is Yes, based on my reality of a modern appliance in a modern house with no faulty wiring overheating and going on fire.
Danger or risk isn't binary, there are degrees. The fire service stats are clear, there are a number of fires caused by faulty or mistreated appliances every year. What the official stats don't make clear are the number of appliances that have been recalled due to fire risks that are the cause of these fires. Manufacturers state there are 10's of thousands of recalled appliances still in use.

It's likely that checking whether your appliances have been recalled, or occasionally cleaning the dryer lint trap would much more significantly reduce your risk exposure than stopping using them overnight.

Driving or being a passenger in a car poses a level of risk to your life and health also, but their convenience means we rarely consider that. For many, washing overnight offers similar convenience that outweighs the very minor element of risk involved.

Back