Smart Economy idea - laptops for school children

could be a good idea. A bit like the African $100 laptop scheme, or Eircom's information age town (Ennis)

That link won't open for me
Are they those ebooks you're talking about?..
I heard a debate on the pros and cons of those, Initally I thought it was a great idea but now I'm undecided.

Here you go CAT:

Looks like the max price will be 500 AUD
[broken link removed]

That must be less than people currently pay on schoolbooks and they have done deals with microsoft and adobe to get over 5000 dollars worth
of software on them all included in the price.

There is a more complete and accurate report on the announcement here - [broken link removed] and a link to the original document here - http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/icu_smart_schools_smart_economy.pdf

Once again Biffo & Co have made it difficult to make direct comparisons with similar projects in other jurisdictions by fuzzing the edges with the inclusion of -

• Laptops
  • Software
  • Teacher training
  • Digital projectors
  • Broadband for schools rollout (again !!)
in the same chunk of funding (which was robbed from the school building capital programme).

It would be a great idea if every child in this country was attending a school with decent toilets , play facilities and library. Fashionable rubbish I think, would be better spent on dealing with the high levels of illiteracy that still persists .

Last edited:
"Students and teachers will also be able to set up video conferencing"

Mum, not going to school today, going to catch class online!

"Students and teachers will also be able to set up video conferencing"

Like that's ever going to be let happen...
Teachers allowing themselves to be monitored full time...

I hope they all get wireless access pc's, as the minister seems to has cancelled some of the classroom capital funds to provide them. At least they can have classes outdoors.