Small van insurance - not commercial

DannyBoyD

As I'm doing renovations, I bought a small van to cart around building stuff & tools; its in addition to my regular (nice!) car.

Its not used for commercial purposes.

I'm not getting much joy with insurance though. My car insurers dont do vans, others promise call backs & dont.

Full Irish Licence, no claims, points or other issues, full NCD.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
as above, but also check Axa.

If you already have insurance and continue to use that, your new van policy will start off with 0% NCB. Axa sometimes give up to 2 years bonus NCB if you have a clean license and full ncb on your car.

If you have an axa office nearby, call into them. If near Bray, go there as that seems to be the main office for decisions. (they are beside the circle K station on the Dublin road)

Due to hobbies, I am considering changing my car for a small van. So the small van would be my everyday car.

Can one use their existing car policy, and pay (if required) the amount of money needed to get the policy transferred to a small van? If so, can you also bring your NCB with you?

Any idea what happens on the other side? As an example, in 5 years I go back to a car, will the insurance companies not recognise the years driving the van and hammer me with a large premium?

Due to hobbies, I am considering changing my car for a small van. So the small van would be my everyday car.

Can one use their existing car policy, and pay (if required) the amount of money needed to get the policy transferred to a small van? If so, can you also bring your NCB with you?

Any idea what happens on the other side? As an example, in 5 years I go back to a car, will the insurance companies not recognise the years driving the van and hammer me with a large premium?
In your case you will only have one vehicle at any one time, so no issues with your NCB.
They most likely will cancel the car policy and issue a commercial policy at the same time. This would give a refund on what remains of the car policy, and if the same insurance company, this will be deducted from the van policy.

If you are with AIG they don't do van policies

Back