Small Accident - Advice Required

I think that advising somebody to sue in such a relatively minor case is not good advice. The chances of them ending up out of pocket are significant. Better to put complaints over the matter in writing to the company involved and they may make some sort of discretionary goodwill gesture.

I'd be inclined to agree with previous sentiments that such minor matters should be chalked up to experience. Many large companies would not make a goodwill gesture on the basis that it might be seen as an admission of liability.
The only doubt that I would have is that you should wait a certain period of time to ensure that your injury was just a minor one and is resolved. In personal injury actions medical advice would tend to be to wait a while to ensure that there are no nasty surprises lurking and that in a few months time you don't find this injury playing up. That said, if you were going to make a claim there are very strict statutory limits on such claims now, so talk either to PIAB or your solicitor in relation to same.

I would also have my doubts on the wisdom and possibility of receiving ( free or otherwise) legal advice over the phone, but each to their own.

In relation to discretionary goodwill gestures, my mother slipped on a food/ drink spillage in a city centre Dunnes Stores outlet a few years ago. The spillage was not mopped up and no warning signs were posted. She sustained serious bruising at the time and subsequently wrote a letter of complaint to the store (foolishly she left the store at the time of the incident without making a representation to the manager). The letter was ignored and I believe this is probably unofficial company policy with many stores as any "goodwill gesture" could surely be construed as an admission of liability and negligence and would be prejudicial in any future legal action. I think i would take the view that if no serious harm was done chalk it up to experience, as already suggested.

OK - I didn't think the "goodwill gesture" through in terms of possible implications for admission of liability etc.

Yes, but some large companies DO make such gestures. I remember one large chain of retail outlets making what I thought was a very handsome gesture to a client a few years back, although the client had a fairly serious injury and ended up suing anyway. I was impressed though.

Although I wonder what the ESB could do? Voucher for next bill?

OK,

Here is what I've decided. Im going to write to the ESB and I'm going to ask them for a gesture of good will in the form of a donation to Greenpeace (or similar if anybody has a more pertinent :D charity in mind) and in return I'll waive any future rights to sue them.
Perhaps €100 would suffice.

Thanks as always

quarterfloun said:
OK,

Here is what I've decided. Im going to write to the ESB and I'm going to ask them for a gesture of good will in the form of a donation to Greenpeace
ESB sends money to Greenpeace? Now I would certainly pay to see a copy of that cheque......

Back