Sliding wardrobes

Saavy99

I need to kit out five double bedrooms with wardrobes. Preferable sliding wardrobes for space saving reasons. I don't intend staying in the house long term (possible 2 years) and will most likely leave wardrobes behind when I leave. I'm thinking of IKEA and JKSE, is there a difference in quality between the two?? I have been to JKSE and a few caught my eye. I have looked at IKEA website and can only see diagrams but not actual pictures of the wardrobes, maybe I need to make a trip to Dublin.

I was in IKEA recently looking at sliding door wardrobes for their PAX wardrobe frames. The sliding doors for the PAX cabinet frames come in these sizes: 150cm wide x 201cm high ; 150cm wide x 236cm high ; 200cm wide x 201cm high and 200cm wide x 236cm high. For sliding doors the storage carcasses/cabinets come in just two depths: 44cm and 66cm (these include the 8cm of the sliding doors).
I haven't looked yet at any other supplier for comparison but the IKEA ones seemed good quality to me.

Thanks for that, I'm looking for a few of the 200cm by 200cm ones and one smaller sized one. I will just shop around and plan a trip to IKEA. Anyone know what the queues are like up there now?

The doors are the most expensive element.

If these really won't be used long term, consider going for the carcass only and fitting a curtain to keep off dust.

Or better still look for some second hand items & they can be easily repainted to smarten them up.

I have lots of family/visitors that often stay over, I really need some decent wardrobes.

FWIW I fitted some of the Ikea sliding wardrobes in our place. Relatively easy to build, though as usual for IKEA lots and lots of small parts so a little time consuming. We’re very happy with them. The online PAX builder tool was great to model out what you want then just hit Order.

Everything I’m hearing is that queues into Ikea are still very bad.

@Saavy99 - visitors don't need a full sized wardrobe though?

If your space is tight a bit of creative thinking might be better use of the space & maybe more charm than IKEA flatpack?

For me, it wouldn't be so much the financial aspect as the environmental cost.

Last edited:
A good scrub, sanding and paint can do a lot.

For visitors, chest of drawers & some simple hanging space (shaker style pegs even) generally does the job. Plus a comfy chair (if you can) hairdryer and space for charging things.

Don't use IKEA. Apart from time consuming if anything goes wrong be prepared to write it off. I recently bought from IKEA and got damaged goods delivered. I have not been able to get in contact with their customer service without waiting 2 hours on a webchat and still no collection or refund after 8 weeks. Despite getting a time for collection last week it was a no show even after a text to say they would collect. So just be aware of this.

This may not be what you want to do but as a short term solution I screwed cheap curtain rail from IKEA under wall shelving and used that to hang clothes on.

I read about IKEA customer service earlier. It is shockingly bad. Customers are being left in no man's land. Not a hope would I consider them now.

I read about IKEA customer service earlier. It is shockingly bad. Customers are being left in no man's land. Not a hope would I consider them now.
FWIW I had some interactions with their customer service a year or two ago and had no issues. Personally I’ve been very impressed with their wardrobes and plenty of their stuff in-fact, so would not let this put you off. Any retailer doing the volume of stuff Ikea are doing are going to collect some negative feedback...

FWIW I had some interactions with their customer service a year or two ago and had no issues. Personally I’ve been very impressed with their wardrobes and plenty of their stuff in-fact, so would not let this put you off. Any retailer doing the volume of stuff Ikea are doing are going to collect some negative feedback...

Yeah, however in this case it sounds more than some negative feedback going by trust pilot they score very badly. I really think customer service needs to form an integral part of any business.
We live in an age when so much shopping is carried out online and where you cannot see physically see the products. People do.place their trust on online reviews and if they appear mostly negative, It reflects poorly on the company. They really wouldn't inspire me to go there because I'm one of those people that can't handle poor or shoddy customer service.

Last edited:
Back