SKY - Why do they need a phone line?

Sounds like that's in breach of your contract with them so judging by this. I'm not sure what technical aspects of the setup are affected by disconnecting the phone line though?

Yep, you're supposed to keep the phone line connected for a year.

And if you intend ordering box office movies etc on a regular basis - you should keep it connected & order via your remote. It's more expensive when you call them to order something, about €2 euro a pop more, I think.

Went to a local installer and he said that sky use to be more flexible and allow you to have sky+ without a phone line and with the €37.50 charge, they won't allow it anymore. We are just goin to get normal sky. There is already a box and satilitte dish there from a previous tenant who doesn't want it anymore so he's just ordering us a card, still have to pay €37.50 tho!

Telephone line & Sky TV

Do you need a 'land-line' for Sky TV? I was told before that the only reason that you need a landline is for Pay-Per-View. Is this true?

Re: Telephone line & Sky TV

When i got it installed the guy putting it in told me that all i had to do was ring them and tell them i did not want it connected to telephone due to the location of the nearest phone socket i.e. it being far away.....only prob was they want a once off 35 euro payment from you.

Re: Telephone line & Sky TV

If you intend on using Sky Box Office PPV events, then you'd be better having the box connected to an active phoneline. I think you can still order PPV events over the phone, but they charge extra to do this.

A landline isn't needed to install Sky, as racso has said, but you do pay a levy of €37.50 for not doing so.

Back