Free Connection
First month free worth 62 Euro

Can change to their basic package at 20 Euro after that
Anyone had a similar experience, taken up the offer or had any problems

Is there a catch?

I am currently with Corus Digital costing 41 Euro a month
This includes 2 additional connection points non digita

l

...I think that they still charge €15 for the cable - even though installation is 'free'.

I'm checkin' it out myself at the moment as I'm also on Chor Dig.

I think also that in order to get similar level of channels are the Chorus basic package, the Sky equiv costs about €30.

Other than that I've been told more or less the same as you - but I have not made the jump as yet.

ninsaga

Sky TV

Hi

Saw Sky + in a friend's house over the weekend - very impressed.

Where can I find out more about it? Will ITV and C4 be available on it soon or ever?

I'm with Chorus at the moment.

UTV

SKY

The great thing about Sky is that you own the equipment after 12 months, so you can tell sky to take a hike and you still get BBC1, 2, 3 & 4 free, and it is very possible that ITV & Channel 4 will follow eventually.

Everything else on SKY is pure crap except discovery, but then €28 a month just for discovery?

Re: SKY

Just out of curiosity why do people assume ITV and
Channel 4 will appear on the Sky platform?
Surely it won't if it's on the FTA in the UK?
Sky wouldn't pay them so what have they got to gain?
Mind you, it's the reason I won't get SKY.

Dan the Man, you have piqued my curiosity!

I had SKY for a year or two but cancelled the sub when the box started giving jip and I got fed up trying to sort it out. If I remember rightly though, the box was ok and it turned out to be the mouse-like remote signal thing that was the trouble (but the SKY dudes wouldn't fix it - only the digibox). Anyhow, if I bought myself a new remote thinggy and saying that I got the yoke working again, could I get all the BBC channels without too much difficulty? Or do you have to try moving the dish around and stuff? I'd love to have those BBC channels - totally agree that discovery and history channels were the only decent thing on SKY.

Thanks
Rebecca

There's a BBC3 ?

And 4 ?

I obviously don't watch enough TV.

z

bbc3 and 4

are well worth having but they are not easy to get on Sky. Dont know what the other poster was talking about. When you cancel your subscription almost all channels disappear. You can get the freeview BBC channels by playing around with some settings in the other services categories where you basically mannually set the stations your self. You would need to consult a 'proper' tv shop for a photo copied handout describing how to.

ITV and C4

I certainly wouldn't get Sky with the expectation that ITV and C4 will be available here any time soon, because for the past three and a half years (at least), both Sky and UTV have said they are in ongoing talks, or progressing talks, or reaching agreement on carrying UTV on the Sky platform in ROI, and absolutely nothing has happened.

If you really want it, you can get UK sky cards on eBay for around €100.

Hi Miss Ribena

You don't need to do anything with your dish. Just connect up the box, and you should receive BBC1 on Channel 101. If nothing happens, leave the box switched on as it can take up to 6 hours to activate.

If 101 says RTE, then try to insert your old card upside down (honestly), this will confuse the box and it will revert back to it's default UK configuration, then BBC1 will be on 101.

BBC3 is between 114 & 118 and BBC4 between 115 & 119.

I would not buy a UK FTA Sky card, there is no gaurantee it will work, and if it does, for how long? It has to be activated y a central authority!

Thanks a million Dan, that sounds great.
Do you know the name of the little remote signal pick-up thing I'm talking about? Can I just buy them in a shop and are they expensive?

My Sky set up was a bit weird. The guy who installed it put the digibox in the attic and the little signal pick-up thing in the living room. It was a pain if you had to reset the digibox but it did away with wires trailing all around the house (I have concrete floors upstairs).

Thanks again
Rebecca

digbox in the attic? defies logic!

Try Argos for the signal pick up thing

The digibox in my parents house is in the attic, with a connection running from it to two different rooms.

"I would not buy a UK FTA Sky card, there is no gaurantee it will work, and if it does, for how long? It has to be activated y a central authority! "

If the card was already activated would it not work in Ireland?? Some of the ones for sale are already activated, and others have the whole package including Sky Sports and Movies activated for a year. Would these definintely not work in Ireland, as it would be worth it if they did.

The UK FTA Sky card which I know of, is activated by marrying the digibox and the card (serial numbers). The card will not give you ITV, C4 & C5 on any other Digibox.

I am not aware of any card with the whole Sky Sports package, it doesn't sound legal, Sky themselves would never issue them.

If it is illegal, then you definitely can't expect it to work for too long.

Caveat Emptor

Sky

There may be some confusion here. FTA is free to air, which is the free BBC's but the FTV, free to view, is a card that was once available last year to view BBC's ITV,C4,C5 ( and a few others like Sky News, music channel...). I bought this card myself using an English address for £20. I do not pay any subscription after that.
They are no longer available but can be bought thru the likes of eBay for an inflated price. Beware as they may be deactivated after a few days when you get them as the seller can report it lost and your card will be deactivated. The seller then 'sells' again.

I may not be 100% accurate on all this but check out the boards.ie for the satellite forum and there's heaps there

Back