Sky TV Contract

Jazz01

My current sky TV contract is up and now I'm being bumped up to their "regular pricing". I have Sky TV and Netflix (and require nothing further) and will be charged €51p/m. New customers are getting this same package for €30 pm, plus a €50 welcome gift. From an initial chat when they rang me, they offered to drop it back to what I was paying : €41pm but was assured that this is lowest that they can go. Has anyone succeeded in getting their sky contract costs a bit lower ? Any recommendations for how to go about encouraging them to drop price even more.

Many years ago now, and not sure if it was a serious offer, but when I cancelled the guy asked if I was stay for €5 a month...

If you have decent broadband, I find NowTV pretty good, the Entertainment pack is regularly on offer for €10 a month for 6 months (otherwise €12) and they regularly send offers for discounts on sports and movies packs. I got the sports on a €10 a month offer a while back and cancelled at the end of the period. Within weeks I had another email offering me €10 a month for 6 months.

I used to ring them every year, and always go something off, nothing major and never as much as being treated as a new customer, usually around 8-10 off, which was enough to put me off switching at the time. You can get pretty much all the sky channels for free if you hook a freesat box to their dish. One complication is you also need a saorview aeriel to get the Irish stations unfortunately - its not expensive, just a bit of a pain. A bit of a capital outlay, but no tv bills going forward.

No personal experience of doing it but I know of people who have cancelled the contract then got their wife /partner to open a new account and get the new customer rate.

Thanks @Leo - that was something I was looking at last night, might delve into that a bit more, esp for the sports over the winter.

@demoivre - I said that to them, but was told that the "account" is linked to the address, so cancellation / new account would be treated as a re-activation. I asked them about rented properties and how that is managed with changes in tenants, but got back "that's the policy we have".

Reactions: Leo
I used to ring them every year, and always go something off, nothing major and never as much as being treated as a new customer, usually around 8-10 off, which was enough to put me off switching at the time. You can get pretty much all the sky channels for free if you hook a freesat box to their dish. One complication is you also need a saorview aeriel to get the Irish stations unfortunately - its not expensive, just a bit of a pain. A bit of a capital outlay, but no tv bills going forward.
Another complication is that it is illegal

My current sky TV contract is up and now I'm being bumped up to their "regular pricing". I have Sky TV and Netflix (and require nothing further) and will be charged €51p/m. New customers are getting this same package for €30 pm, plus a €50 welcome gift. From an initial chat when they rang me, they offered to drop it back to what I was paying : €41pm but was assured that this is lowest that they can go. Has anyone succeeded in getting their sky contract costs a bit lower ? Any recommendations for how to go about encouraging them to drop price even more.
You won't get a new member offer. Sky aren't the only ones that do that, all companies do. I've been with Sky for 16 years and I phone them once I notice my bill going up and get something off. They constantly have offers that you can avail of to keep your bill down.

Thanks @Leo - that was something I was looking at last night, might delve into that a bit more, esp for the sports over the winter.

@demoivre - I said that to them, but was told that the "account" is linked to the address, so cancellation / new account would be treated as a re-activation. I asked them about rented properties and how that is managed with changes in tenants, but got back "that's the policy we have".

How does that work if you sell your house and the purchaser wants Sky ?

I presume they mean the free channels available on Freesat, and not the Sky channels per say.
With so many people getting the dodgy boxes these days, I presume they are hooking up to them...which aren't free either, you pay a monthly fee to a paypal account...

Reactions: Leo
Another complication is that it is illegal

Absolutely 100% not illegal. Pretty much all the standard channels available on Sky (accept sky channels obviously) are available on Freesat service, which you can access for free if your smart TV is Freesat ready, such as high end Samsungs, or if not, through a seperate Freesat box. You can get a freesat box in argos or DID, and there is nothing dodgy about them.
The OP said they just need standard channels and Netflix - if he needs all the pay channels, he can access them through NowTV etc, as suggested above.

In my experience you need to follow through with cancelling before you will get an offer. I cancelled last Nov as my offer period was up and they were putting it up by about 33%. I just wasn't getting the use out of it for that. They insisted that was the best they could do so I cancelled. Since cancellation, I regularly get calls for packages cheaper than my offer price. I haven't missed it at all so I haven't taken them up on the offer. If they had just kept me on the same price, I'd probably still be with them. I've also used Now TV for entertainment package when there is an offer on. Regularly get 3 months for €5 per month or the latest offer was €3 per month for 5 months. I cancel once the offer period is up and then usually get another within weeks.

Many years ago now, and not sure if it was a serious offer, but when I cancelled the guy asked if I was stay for €5 a month...

If you have decent broadband, I find NowTV pretty good, the Entertainment pack is regularly on offer for €10 a month for 6 months (otherwise €12) and they regularly send offers for discounts on sports and movies packs. I got the sports on a €10 a month offer a while back and cancelled at the end of the period. Within weeks I had another email offering me €10 a month for 6 months.
I left Sky years ago when the price went up to€70.
That's the problem having to negotiate every year

Back