Site visits/foreman

beachman

Can anyone give me some advice on the protocol involved in visiting a site and getting to know the foreman - without driving them completely nuts. I've bought an apartment which is beginning to take shape...but who can I get feedback from at the site? what kind of things should I look out for during the build process? thanks for any feeback

Hi beachman

What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Is your apartment covered by HomeBond?

Hi Fintan, it is covered by homebond, I just wanted to know what the common pitfalls are and what i should be keeping an eye on while the place is being built. some people say that getting to know the foreman is a good move..and that you can stop problems developing. what kind of things should I be looking at? thanks

Getting to know the foreman could be tricky depending on how big the development is, as you could imagine he would generally be an extremely busy guy. His assistants / clerk of works might be worth talking too.

You could ring and ask about times for a site visit, depends on the building firm on how they handle this.

Personally if it was my site, I wouldn't let you near the place till it was time for you to prepare the snaglist. The logistics / health and safety of having tennants coming in for a visit would be difficult to say the least

To be honest being covered by HomeBond is a good start, this should protect you against any structural problems.

My spies tell me approx 50% of complaints to Homebond are about water leakage. So check things like windows / roofs / attics etc to make sure everything has been properly sealed.

Back