Site sold subject to planning, I only want to renovate

mazzalu

I have seen a site that is being sold subject to planning. The site had previous full planning granted to extend the existing house on the front and back, which has now lapsed.

I only intend to renovate and repair the house in-keeping with how it was originally ( in the same footprint and nothing extra added) , there are only 2 of us and we don't need a large house. So how do I go about negotiating with the seller? We would also be cash buyers and not hanging on the conditions of obtaining a mortgage.

Why would a seller sell subject to planning when they could sell 'as seen' so to speak? Is it likely the seller would be receptive to selling without planning or is there a particular reason they would sell in this way?

Any advice would be appreciated, I have read what I can on forums like these but renovating and not knocking down seems to be discussed very little.

Really all depends how much you are prepared to offer and whether the Seller feels the site can achieve a better price with planning for a different dwelling. Are you prepared to offer what the site is currently offered for sale at? The other elements might swing it in your favour re timeline but that's the only advantage from the sellers perspective.

Thanks for your reply. I might offer a bit lower than the asking price, they have stated 'open to offers'. The planning was granted 9 years ago, lapsed 4 years ago and has not been re-applied for.

The fact that planning was previously granted for the extension may mean a future application is likely to get a favourable review. This potentially adds significant value to the site, but very few would be willing to pay and then risk not getting planning.

The vendor is likely to accept a lower than asking offer for peace of mind that they don't have to wait on a lengthy planning application process to complete the sale. How much lower, who knows, so don't start too close to asking.

Thanks Leo and noproblem. We're still in the cogitating stage and weighing things up. Your advice is very helpful at this stage.

Back