Site sales problems

jigseyCork

We agreed a price for a 0.6 acre site with OPP in October, We got site map from Estate agent and decided to use the Architect who did the Outline Planning for the Vendors
We met the Architect who explained to us that they couldnt get Outline Planning for 0.6 so had to re submit for 1 acre and were succesful.
So We put our house up for sale and paid the deposit for the site, and set about getting the house of our dreams in planning. In January we submitted the plans.
We agreed a sale for our own house and moved out last Friday. The planning was due to be approved in a couple of weeks. We got a Timber Framed builder ready to go in May, Mobile Home bought for the
site (We are living freinds until the house starts)
Last Friday we signed the Contract for the site, which stated the site is 1 acre and maps the same, and paid 10%. So imagine our shock when we got a phone call Monday morning from the Estate agent accusing us of trying to steal land. The Vendors are now disputing the land size, our architect pulled the planning. We were offered the reduced site 0.6 with no Outline planning for same fee, but our solicitor as refused and wants the original sale land.
Can the Vendors and Estate agent do this????
Cheers Jigsey

Its not at all clear from this whether the Vendors actually agreed to sell you 1 acre. Its clear that the architect was working on that basis and perhaps he was dealing with the solicitor in some way ref. maps but like I say did the Vendors agree to sell you 1 acre? Did you agree with them to buy one acre and was it to be at an increased price. In any event, in most cases, there is no binding contract until both parties sign up, contracts are exchanged and the deposit is paid.

I know its tricky for people trying to juggle house sales/purchases/new builds but I am amazed at the number of posters on this board who make major decisions in situations where they do not have binding contracts.

mf

I am not an architect, but it would be most unusual for any planners to insist on a minimum site size of one acre. 0.6 acres would be more than adequate in almost anywhere I can think of.

The Vendors new it was 1 acre, the Architect new it was one Acre. The Estate agent we think did'nt.

The Contract we signed was for one Acre

The Original map we got from Estate agent showed two figures, the printed one was for 1.02 Acres, then there was an hand written figure of 0.6.

As it looks the Estate agent as made a balls up and convinced the vendors to re sale the site for as Acre.

We have been told that we have been made homeless through no fault of out own, we will Qualify for the Rural restricted sites. Which is a small positive

Back