Site from family/legal advice and what happens if we split up later?

m21

I am thinking about building wit my boyfriend. He has a site given by his dad. Would anyone be able advice me of any legalities I should be aware of. If anything were to happen in the future causing us to split would we both be ok if the mortgage is in both our names? Thanks for any help.

I think your completely right Monte Carlo, but the one positive to take from this type of scenario unfolding is that a lot of young couple purchased way over priced one and two bedroomed apartments during the boom and cannot sell now because its only worth half the price.

I think this project should be looked at from a slightly business perspective i.e. will their be equity in the property if they do build and will they be able to sell if they ever have to.

Unless this is going to be a long term committed relationship one should not venture down this road. Please seek proper legal advice from a solicitor before you proceed further. A minor amount of money spent now on such advice is the way to start. And both of you being open and honest about a potential spilt and the ramifications of that is also a good way to conduct a relationship.

If you are not willing to commit by getting married, you shouldn't put money into a house together. (I know there are lots of opinions on this, this is just mine).

Back