Sister has locked me out of our jointly owned property!

T12345

Hello,
3 years ago I purchased a flat with my sister - its a 5 year term - our relationship has broken down and I can no longer live within the property with her. basically, what are my options in terms of the property. It is the only property I have and basically I cant even enter the property because she repeatedly locks me out. I can't afford huge legal fees and have heard that to force a sale through the courts is very expensive. I have nowhere else to live - my sister seems to think its fine to lock me out whilst she sleeps in her own room. The situation has become so intolerable that I have to consider my option.
Many thanks for any suggestions

A difficult scenario and you have my sympathy. You might clarify what you mean by "5 year term"!! Is their a loan on the property? Is there any possibility of intermediary from a family member or mutual friend. Legally she has no right to lock you out of the property and you are entitled to hire a locksmith to access the property. Ideally when she is out!! However it would be preferable to try to resolve this situation amicably as otherwise both of you will be likely to lose out.

Thank you Brenda, 5 year fixed rate (we've paid 3 years) - It's becoming a very horrible situation and being locked out repeatedly is unfair. There is no possibility or an intermediary I'm afraid - the relationship has completely broken down and I don't want to go into the nitty gritty -I cannot live there as I feel like it is not good for either of us. I have no idea what to do - I doubt she will cooperate. She's quite obstructional. I cant afford high legal fees - I put all of my savings into the property. I doubt she will want to do anything amicably either r- sorry, its not in her personality.

Back