Single pension scheme

partnership

My limited understanding is that it is integrated with the contributory state pension but am unsure of the implications. What happens if you don't have enough stamps to get the coap? Example 7 years in single pension scheme less than 20 years A stamps.

Your State Pension (COAP) is based on your total PRSI record, some or all of which may be based on public service employment).

If your total PRSI record amounts to 7 complete years then (under the Total Contribution Approach) your State Pension would be 7/40 of the maximum State Pension. You also get a PS Occupational Pension based on your 7 years service in the Single Scheme.

If in addition to the 7 years in the PS Single Scheme you have another 25 years paid or credited, then your State Pension would be 32/40 of maximum. Your PS Occupational Pension would be the same - based on 7 years service in the Single Scheme.

I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of the Single Scheme. In some of the older public service pension schemes, there was the concept of supplementary pensions, whereby you could, in certain circumstances, get a top-up pension from the public service scheme if, for example, you retired a few years before you became eligible for the State Contributory Pension.

Do supplementary pensions exist in the Single Scheme?

Your State Pension (COAP) is based on your total PRSI record, some or all of which may be based on public service employment).

If your total PRSI record amounts to 7 complete years then (under the Total Contribution Approach) your State Pension would be 7/40 of the maximum State Pension. You also get a PS Occupational Pension based on your 7 years service in the Single Scheme.

If in addition to the 7 years in the PS Single Scheme you have another 25 years paid or credited, then your State Pension would be 32/40 of maximum. Your PS Occupational Pension would be the same - based on 7 years service in the Single Scheme.
I thought you needed a minimum of 520 contributions for the coap? I have D stamps as well but mixed rate is only available if you don't have another eu pension, I hope to get UK one.

Do supplementary pensions exist in the Single Scheme?
No.

"Supplementary Pension .
The terms of the Single Scheme do not currently provide for the payment of a supplementary pension under any circumstances."

I thought you needed a minimum of 520 contributions for the coap? I have D stamps as well but mixed rate is only available if you don't have another eu pension, I hope to get UK one.

Hi partnership,
I don't know how this works (or doesn't work) in relation to the Single Scheme. In earlier PS schemes it would have been addressed by way of the "Supplementary Pension" - if you failed to qualify for any COAP/State Pension.

Last edited:
Back