Single estate-agent to sell Dublin rental house or multiple agencies?

Setanta12

Have decided to sell a property and would like to offload as quick as poss. Not under undue pressure to sell - not a firesale - but I don't want it to be drawn out either.

Can we go with (say) Sherry & DNG ? We would need them to manage viewings* etc as we don't live local to house.

*viewings are soooo 2019!

Not a great time at the moment to sell or look for a quick sale unless you want to give the property away, even then conveyancing is almost at a standstill, so nothing will happen quickly.

For most properties I don’t think any of the big agents would be interested in the business unless they have a sole agency with no other having the right to sell. I got quotes recently from two of the big agents and this was clearly outlined in both proposals.

Last edited:
How does multiple agencies work in a house sale, what's involved?

As twofor1 says, the default terms of pretty much every agent in the country is exclusive rights via sole agency, with their fee remaining payable in full if you sell the house via other means within 6 months after terminating the agreement.

Joint sales are rare here, but do happen. They might do joint open viewings and follow on private viewings for existing contacts. The problem though is that both agencies get their full fees regardless of which one gets the deal done, so it's a lot more expensive.

Different agents will use different pictures, search criteria, descriptions. It may appear like two properties on searches when it's only one.

As a purchaser I'd be put off by a dual listing.

From a relative who sold recently they basically had a look around the area for similar to see who was most popular and selling and used them rather than the big two/three but it was a small holding so may not be comparable. Of course that was pre virtual world.

As a purchaser I'd be put off by a dual listing.

Yeah, I think it mainly happens in rural settings where there's a local agent with a good network, bringing in one of the big national players means broader exposure. They'll use the same set of photos and details though.

Back