Sinead o Connor her own worst enemy

joe sod

I don't know what to make of Sinead o Connor and what her gripe is with the BBC interview. It's obvious she is trying to get herself back into the spotlight and the BBC interviewer was just being straight and was not going to pussy foot around Sinead o Connor or play the game like Sinead wanted. Sure only last week she was saying she should be called on to perform in the Eurovision for Ireland. What was that about only trying to get herself back into the spotlight. Sure we all know that the Eurovision has become a friek show lately, is that why Sinead thinks she should perform , maybe she is jealous of the other acts that did well.

I think that's a bit harsh on Eurovision... the Italian act that won also won San Remo, the song has taken off on Spotify charts etc and on stage they know how to rock a crowd.
The Swiss, French songs could have been contenders from any year of Eurovision.

The Ukraine song was a bit out there, Iceland were a bit quirky and geeky ala Beck but that's better than all acts being generic Europop.
Lithuania went for a infectious disco song with a matching dance routine.
Finland were a bit Rage Against the Machine.

Of course there are generic Beyonce knockoffs, OTT staging and costuming (Norway), underdressed performers etc but it's far from a freak show.
You need to stand out from the crowd, but if you want to win it you need more than that.

I think there was a period in the early noughties when it was just decided on phone votes and things got a bit ridiculous.
But with the jury vote back in now it's a different contest.

Lesley Roy didn't qualify cos she wasn't freakish enough but because she wrote a song which sounded ok on radio but she wasn't able to perform it live and the staging took away from the song and her focus on singing. Similar story with the UK doing poorly.

It might suit someone like Sinead who has a profile, is in need of a comeback but she'd need a good song to do well and not sure how well her voice has aged.

I don't know what to make of Sinead o Connor and what her gripe is with the BBC interview

I didn't hear the interview but I read an article about it since after your OP. Apparently the BBC interviewer quoted a description made of SOC in an newspaper as 'the crazy lady in the attic'. An inference that would suggest that such a person, let alone O'Connor, is a bit mad and perhaps should be kept hidden away from 'normal' people - think Hitchcocks psycho.

O'Connors issues with mental well-being are well documented. Of all the descriptions that could be used to describe SOC, why choose the one that may be construed as demeaning and provocative? The only logic is to provoke a reaction and generate click-bait.

@odyssey06 I agree a lot of the songs and shows are good in Eurovision, I just used that term "friek show" lazily, it was more got to do with Sinead o Connor than the Eurovision and what her game is? I think maybe she is becoming irrelevant as their are many younger artists and celebrities that now ape her style. I think this is all a game to get her name back out there again, she is not a struggling younger artist whose career has been stopped by covid, she is actually a very rich established entertainer.

Last edited:
She announced her retirement from singing or was it touring on the Brendan O'Connor show on Sunday.
She retracted it today

She announced her retirement from singing or was it touring on the Brendan O'Connor show on Sunday.
She retracted it today
The lady is a contrarian. She's also a very talented singer and musician who has lived her life very publicly. Rich and talented is great but fame is a curse.

I'm reading her book at the moment, its a good read. Not sure yet how my view of her will end up - talented but touched is where I'm starting from (& prob where I'll end). Had a tough childhood to be fair to her - like all parents "I just want her to be happy".:)

She's an irrelevance musically in contemporary terms - Mandinka and Nothing Compares etc were her big hits & decades ago. Both songs were ok but nothing special. She has some anecdote in her recent book that Prince beat her up once upon a time. He's dead and can't refute this but given her track record this may be overblown by her to flog her book and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. To summarise - she's a minor act internationally now but a big fish still in the Irish showbiz pond .

Finished her book, it starts well but I think runs out of steam of bit..... (familiar?).

She's one of these "the world is a richer place for having her in it", but she suffers for her art, no doubt about it. Wish her well for the future.

Back