Simple RTB query

outofmymind

Hi - Simple RTB query here but can't get through to their helpdesk. I'm sure some people here have dealt with this situation regularly/recently.

Tenants have moved out (their choice - going abroad for a period).
I tried to close off the RTB registration online and it has the question 'Tenancy Ended Reason' - I have answered 'Tenants Moved Out'.
It then asks 'Have you submitted a Notice of Termination for this tenancy to the RTB?' The answer is no - they gave me notice, not the other way round.
Next to 'No' it says 'I understand that I must send a copy into the RTB within 28 days of Tenancy End Date.' - but if the tenants have given me notice then I am not terminating the tenancy - the tenants did this.
I'm confused? Do I need to send a Notice of Termination even though it is the tenants that gave notice? That wouldn't make sense. I want to be compliant ...
Thanks

Yes, thanks - I could do this but I was hoping that someone else has been through this loop and can tell me. I would like to get my paperwork sorted today if I can.

Ok - I got through to them after about an hour call-queuing on the phone - They tell me the wording is poor and that I do not need to send in the form if the tenants gave me notice - only if I give them notice. Outcome posted here so it might save others some time/effort. :)

They admit that the wording is poor and confusing, but they could not be assed changing it. It has been on the website since April 2022.

Also, I don't think it makes sense even if you have evicted the tenant. Currently you must send the RTB the eviction notice on the same day as you serve it on the tenant.

Typical carry on from the RTB, know it is wrong, too much trouble to change it, but happy to waste compliant landlords' time trying to contact them to find out what it means.

If you don't tell the tenancy has ended the RTB will still list you as a active LL.

In my experience its not something they do unless explicitly told. Even if you've gone through a dispute process and as part of that dispute process the dispute is closed as the tenants have moved out, and tenancy ended. They don't updated the listing of the LL. Classic one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

Someone I know was contacted by another authority doing rental inspections because the RTB still had them listed as a LL and the RTB passed this information over. Even though they are not, and the house long sold and owner occupied, by someone else. The RTB told them they had to re-register with the RTB in order to unregister with them.

Consider this when looking at the RTB stats.

You need to email them - we had a similar situation where tenant moved to another town but her new landlord could not register the new tenancy because her PPS was linked to a previous address.

Back