"SIMPLE' questions re iPad2

Plek Trum

Hi all,
not the most techie here but have decided to get into the new world and take the plunge.
After reviews and advice, will be purchasing an Apple iPad 2 (3G + WIFI).

My (stupid) questions are as follows:

Can you connect a USB directly to the iPad?
We do not currently have internet access at our home. Am I correct in thinking that we would need to get a wireless system set up for the house as we will not be able to connect an internet modem via USB slot?

and related note,
this means we will not be able to avail of a mobile broadband modem (USB) when travelling but can use the iPad for internet etc where WIFI is available?

Also without direct USB input, I will have to link the iPad to my laptop to transfer over movie files / connect external hardrive etc. I was hoping to cut out the use of my laptop altogether!

I know they are daft questions :eek: but I want to be clear before I head into the shop.. knowledge is power and all that!
Thanks a million in advance.

USB connection to iPAD2? - No (but .... found this on a web site: "there is a way around this. Apple sells what's called a camera connection kit. It's purpose is to be able to connect a camera USB to the iPad so it has the iPad plug in on one side, and the other end accepts USB cables from a camera. The trick here is that you can also connect an external hard drives with a USB to this kit.")

Wireless is the way to go for connection... WIFI when out & about...

I don't own an iPAD so someone else on AAM with one may be able to give you more details...

If you're choosing to get an iPAD with 3G, are you also planning to sign up for 3G service, i.e. mobile broadband ?

If so, then you're online and connecting to a modem should not be an issue. If not, why pay the extra for a 3G iPAD ?

Hi all, sorry for delay...
thanks for all replies, Tarfhead - yes, see OP, my enquiry was about mobile broadband for it, sepciafically the modem (wether or not USB connection was suitable or if we had to go wireless)

Paddybloggit - iPad for browsing, checking emails, itunes, watching movies, storing photo's. Basically general recreational use, my laptop is old and rather cumbersome, I like the freedom and convenience of the iPad.

Jazz01 - thanks a million for your info, much appreciated!!

I would probably recommend a netbook, it would suit your needs far more conviently that an iPad.

The key thing to recognise is that the iPad is not an alternitive to a laptop/netbook.

(Don't work in Argos!) Here is a sample of what ones you might consider:

I would probably recommend a netbook, it would suit your needs far more conviently that an iPad.

The key thing to recognise is that the iPad is not an alternitive to a laptop/netbook.

+1 you can't run the iPad (as you want to) with out a "base" PC of some sort.

However, just how past it is the laptop? If it is still servicable to use as a hub, i.e. to just run iTunes and never leave the home, then with iOS5 and iCloud, you'll be ok with the iPad for all/most of what you're looking for.

It does put people off not having a USB port, but there's really no need for one as you could always just sync it with your PC or use any of the Cloud apps. Now with iCloud all your apps, photos, music, etc can be stored remotely and easily accessed with your iPad. But you will still need the PC Hub.

The lack of internet access is a bit of a killer for the iPad. 3G ones do help, but the data costs could be very restrictive. It's just better to have the iPad operating from a wifi hotspot.

I presume you're using a wireless "dongle" on the laptop at the moment? I know there's a way via a physical ethernet connection to turn your laptop into a wireless router and connect the iPad via wifi to that, it may be possible to do the same with the dongle, but I'd have to check on that one.

The last thing is also remember for watching movies, you're limited largely to what you buy or rent from iTunes with the iPad. If you do download in other formats from places other than iTunes, then you will need to convert them to work on your ipad.

In effect, you can't throw away the lap top just yet.

What Latrade said :)

Basically, Netbook would be portable but would with added functionality. The iPad is essentially an entertainment device. Itunes on the netbook would be far easier to manage your media than on the iPad.

One word of warning, due to the slim down size of netbooks, you would need to get an external dvd/cd drive as they don't come as standard!

Thanks SO much to the two of you for the info - its a tad embarrassing to not be so tech savvy but hugely appreciated to get this practical feedback before handing over a nice sum of cash.

These are the things you don't get told (at least directly) when dealing with a salesperson.. the guy I met would convince you that the iPad would nearly run the house for me and I would wonder why I bothered with a computer at all!

Great advice and food for thought, will put the breaks on the purchase and have a good rethink and weigh up the options for whats needed. Thanks again!

It can be daunting when you are unsure and especially when a sales person is giving you the pitch, but sure this site is great for just getting a clearer picture. Hope you get what you need.

Hi all,
not the most techie here but have decided to get into the new world and take the plunge.
After reviews and advice, will be purchasing an Apple iPad 2 (3G + WIFI).

I got one and I must say I love it. I used it travelling to the US, and watching movies, reading a book, playing games etc made the flight go by very quickly.

Can you connect a USB directly to the iPad?

No. In general, you can't easily copy "files" to it like you would a laptop. I have the camera connection dongle, which allows you to copy photographs and movies, but nothing else.

We do not currently have internet access at our home. Am I correct in thinking that we would need to get a wireless system set up for the house as we will not be able to connect an internet modem via USB slot?

No, not necessarily. You won't need to get house internet connectivity for it if you get the 3G option. You might want to do some checking on how much data you get per month with
the mobile operator behind the 3G, or you could end up paying excess data charges. Weigh up the cost of a 3G plan, and compare it with the cost of broadband+wifi for your house.

and related note,
this means we will not be able to avail of a mobile broadband modem (USB) when travelling but can use the iPad for internet etc where WIFI is available?

You won't need an external USB modem - the 3G option on the ipad2 means it's already in there. If you travel outside of Ireland though, be very careful about the roaming data charges - pretty much every mobile operator imposes a hefty fee for this. Best to turn off the 3G when travelling internationally, and use WiFi as much as you can.

Also without direct USB input, I will have to link the iPad to my laptop to transfer over movie files / connect external hardrive etc. I was hoping to cut out the use of my laptop altogether!

Well, you might be able to get most of the way there with the latest release of the operating system, which aims to do just this. Instead, you'll be syncing with Apple's iCloud service.

I needed a netbook for travelling and I got the following from Pixmania:

I reckon a netbook is what you need Plek Trum.

It does everything that I need it to do and is so small it's easily carried.

Back