Signed contract 3 months ago & vendor still hasn't signed

P

pauliwallnut

Hi All,
I've been reading this for ages but this is my 1st ever post. Great Site !!
We are FTB's.
Myself & the Girlfriend payed our booking deposit on a house in a new development 3 months ago now. 2 weeks later we had gone through all the paperwork with our solicitor & signed the contract & gave our solicitor a bank draught for the remainder of the deposit. There is a stage payment due at roof level which the house is now at & we haven't heard anything yet which isn't bad news in itself. I rang my solicitor a few times since then to ask had the vendor signed the contract yet so we can go ahead & buy furniture, organise our kitchen etc. etc. She's told me that they still haven't done so because of all kinds of different reasons. The latest being that the builder was on holidays.

I'm getting really worried about this now & hope theres nothing going on in the background that will cause all this to fall through. We are in a state of limbo basically. I feel that my solicitor is doing everything she can to push this along but the other side seem to be stalling for some reason. My solicitor says not to be overly concerned but I can't help but be so. For instance we saw a lovely bed at the weekend that we wanted to put a deposit on but there's no way that we are going to put money down on anything unless we are absolutely sure that we have a house to put it in. My solicitor has told me that I would probably be safe enough to buy things but I'm not going to till I know the situation for sure. My question is am I right to worry or can anyone alay my fears on this ??

Traditionally the two weeks after the August bank holiday are the builders holidays and many take the whole month off. Having said that you are right not to commit yourself to buying furniture before you know the property is legally yours. Can you speak to the builder/their solicitor directly? Is there any way of contacting buyers in the same development who may be in a similiar situation? I wouldn't advocate threatening to pull out yet but perhaps a time deadline (end August?) might give you peace of mind.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

I don't blame you for being worried and I would keep on at your solicitor to try and get the developers to sign. There was a story in our local paper in Dundalk of a guy who had paid his deposit on a flat in Jan and signed the contract. He had bought a lot of stuff for his new place and picked the kitchen etc. The builder pulled the deal a few weeks ago, and there nothing the guy can do as the developer never signed the contract. He had bought the apart for 135K there is no way he would get somewhere in Dundalk for this price now.
Myself and partner are also FTB's we signed in Feb and the developer signed two weeks later, I was the same didn't want to buy a thing till we knew the house was 100% ours.
Best of luck!

I'm confused. Are you buying from the developer or a purchaser who is looking to sell on a property in a new development?

Back