Shower as an extra

shulgin1000

Bit of a 'how longs a piece of string' question..difficult to quantify but maybe someone can tell me what to expect ...

I fécked up and didnt get to the builders in time during construction - to have them put in a shower in the downstairs WC.
The plumbing is in place for the toilet and wash basin - by that i mean the pipes - not the items themselves. Walls plastered & floors finished in concrete (not tiled yet).

I am waiting for the plumber to come back with a price. He says he can do it - but its not straightforward as they need to link up with the outflow pipes from the washbasin/toilet (apparently, it would normally have had its own seperate outflow).

I'm sure someone heres been in a similar situation. Just wanted to post in case anyone has any tips/pitfall warnings about how he goes about sorting this. Also, I'm not sure how to quantify whether I will be getting value for money or not when he does come back to me with a price - as I havnt a clue about this sort of thing.
Normally, I would just get another quote from someone else - but it woud be a bit akward in this case - if this guy is doing the plumbing for the estate - and has already done some work on my house - not sure if its possible to get someone else involved?

I have a friend who is a plumber

Its about €100 for the tray, anywhere between €155-350 (in B&Q last night) for a door, €90-400 for an electric shower (B&Q again) and tiles for €120 (cheap and nasty), Tiler is about €100 & plumbing costs €250-€400 depending on the work

Thanks contemporary. That gives me a baseline to work it out from.

Talked to the plumber and he hasnt got a price for me yet as he needs to get with the electrician. He did say that the only way to go would be an electric shower at this stage.
Q. Someone told me that they cant use the two electric showers in their house at the same time as it couldnt take the load. Is this generally the case with most new houses these days - as I could see this being an inconvenience?

The two showers should be on seperate circuits if possible, that would cut out any problems but i have no idea what this would cost (sorry)

I am not an electrician, but I was enquiring about having two electric showers before and I was told that there is no problem having two of them, but you cannot use both of them at the same time. And to ensure that they are not used together an extra componet needs to be installed between them.

Yeah...it seems your dead right valhalla - I would never have thought that two showers would have been a problem in todays new-builds. Curious as to what would have to be done to facilitate having both of them available for simultaneous use.

On a similiar theme, does anyone know is a power shower the same as an electric shower or can they be used at the same time?
thanks

An electric shower has a single cold water feed and heating this water instantly is what takes up so much electricity.

A power shower takes in both hot and cold water feeds and so it does not use a huge amount of electricity. The only downside with a power shower is that you need to have hot water available, while the electric shower is instant.

But having one of both will allow you to use two showers at the same time.

Back