Show me the money - revisited - Friday, 29th 8.30 RTE1

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
See the above is starting up again on RTE1 this Friday. Vanilla will be happy to get her weekly fix of Eddie. ;)

I just posted in absolute biginners about this, but did not realise it had already been posted here. Sorry!!

As far as I know they are revisiting the family from Kilbarrack from the last series - one of the most entertaining programmes I've ever seen - this was the lady who took a taxi to work every day and was paying the council rent on her credit card - dying to know how they got on!!

That episode was really funny aswell, she went out 4 nights a week and got a taxi home from work even though she was on a bus route. It looked like she lived on the sun beds or fake tan aswell. I find this programme very good as it only shows you how much some people try to keep up with the jones by driving around in a 05 car which they cannot afford to pay for and thousands on credit cards and loans for this and that. I always try to save for things i needed and refuse to get a credit card if i have money when i go shopping grand if not i will just have to look at things.

They rather left us hanging on whether the council would let them buy their house (pocketing a €70k market rate difference). To be fair it looks like the last 10 minutes were filmed in Apr 05 so they probably didn't have an answer yet. But a voice over on the end credits could have brought us right up to date.

This whole system of buying your council house if people like this are Pocketing €70k of taxpayers money

Unregistered said:
This whole system of buying your council house if people like this are Pocketing €70k of taxpayers money

Could you expand what you said. I don't understand what your point is.

I have to say I found this program very interesting. The poor woman got a stroke sometime in the last year and a half, but thankfully seems to have recovered very well. She panicked when she was ill and told the council she didn't want to buy the house anymore. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to make the repayments. I thought Eddie dealt well with it, explaining that everyone who takes on a mortgage has that worry (what if I get sick, what if I lose my job etc.), but that if you thought like that you'd never buy..
I found the husband and daughter to be rather unsympathetic towards the woman, all they wanted to do was buy the house but didn't understand how frightened she was that she wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage.
I missed the very end of the program, did Eddie advise her to contact the council to see what they would now sell it for, or what way did it end?

Yes, he advised her to contact the council. i think the deadline to buy the house had passed but he said to ring anyway that they might make an exception. Wonder how they got on.

We shouldn’t be allowing people to buy up their council houses (at a healthy tax free discount paid for by the taxpayer) while there are so many people who need this cheap rented accomodation. It’s a disgrace really

If you can afford to buy your council house you should not be in it.
They are for families who need somewhere to live and don't have the means of getting somewhere to live.

Back