Show me the Money No 3

Re: SMTM

RTE has done a fine job

Actually it's an independent production by Agtel, presumably commissioned by RTE, in case that makes any difference.

www.agtel.ie/

What a pair of total wallies.

No doubt they will be down at the Health board, the VdeP and MABS in the near future because they can no longer service their debts. We the taxpayers will end up either rehousing them if they are evicted or paying the interest on their mortgage if they aren't. Great country.

Assuming that they gave the IIB bank the correct information to start with, I hope whoever decided they were creditworthy will be called into their boss's office for a chat.

I would love to see the B/S going to court for a repossession in this case and the judge throwing the case out because the lender acted in a stupid reckless and unreasonable manner in allowing them to keep extending their loans in the first place.

IIB bank would have their credit history and it must be totally obvious to anyone that they were living way beyond their means and it is not a case of if they get into more trouble but when they get into trouble.

The amount paid to the creche also alarmed me. They are paying E800 pm now and this will rise to E1,600 when No 2 arrives. This money is paid out after they have paid tax on it. That is the guts of E20,000 pa out of a take home income of E52,000. One of them should consider taking a few years off work to look after the children as from what I can see they will only be working for the creche. If its the woman she might even consider taking in a child or two herself.

It's unfair to compare Eddie Hobbs to Alvin Hall but this show is the pits. It's more of a human interest 'profligate middle class uncovered' than anything that provides strategic information on what to do if you are borrowed up to the hilt, etc. Except for a rather prurient interest in the financial problems of others there is a zero informational content in this show. Refinancing all your debts may not be the ideal solution for everybody. And for those that it is the show gave no ideas on how to decide if refinancing is appropriate, how to obtain refinancing, the risks involved, etc. A real no-brainer and pretty bad all around.

Above

Heavens above! We're all entitled to out views even if its 2.O'Clock in the morning, after a Saturday night out! I think its a good show but it does depend on your expectations, and your preconceived attitude to the presenter I suppose. The third was the best one for me. Theres a lengthy piece today in the SBP about Credit Unions by Kathleen Barrington.

SBP

Commenting on the credit unions' ambitions to expand in the mortgage market, O'Regan said the banking sector had no concerns about competition from the credit unions - provided that they operated on a level playing field with the banks.

That's rich :)

SMTM

a couple of points,

I work for AIB, we refuse people home loans every day of the week that would have good savings records and unblemished credit records, as a result we have a very low proportion of the FTB market...now I know why!!! 13 missed mort payments is unbelievable...if a customer of ours had a couple of missed payments on a car loan they could probably kiss any future borrowings goodbye, unless there was a reasonable explanation for same!!! cant believe they got sanctioned by iib...ridiculous..I know that IFG have a product specifically for people who have fallen behind in mortgage..but not up to 13 payments id say!

living on the never never

Didn't see this RTE programme but have noticed the number of similar shows appearing on all channels in primetime.
BBC had a show the other night. The part I saw was about a seemingly intelligent working woman with an above average income, with a £25,000 credit card bill she got from buying buying buying with no restraint whatsoever.
It is madness. The way there are so many programmes about bad debts on television shows a lot of people are in big financial trouble out there.

Re: living on the never never

Closing this thread - Start talking about episode 4 .

Back