Should Landlord or Tenants pay for home improvements

I have one rental property and the tenants do pretend that they own it, but they pay themselves for everything they put into it.
They’ve been there nine years, I replaced the fridge two years into the tenancy but they’ve paid for everything else since.
You're storing up a huge dispute at end of tenancy when tenants come and look for some of the value back that they've put into your house.

A landlord literally, legally owns 100% of the property, its fixtures and fittings. Letting other people pay for modifications can only lead to eventual dispute.

I should clarify, when I say “they put into it” I mean furniture, appliances, and other moveable items that they can easily take with them if/when they move. Not, say, tiling or in this case, an attic stairs.

I should also clarify, when I suggest @Chocaddict holds off, ideally the tenant will let it slide, rather than install one themselves.

OK. Will you allow / expect them to remove the stairs when they move on.?.

Or do you consider a staira type stairs a fixture.?. Can you write this expenditure off over 5 to 8 years with Revenue?. Have you landlord insurance with personal injury indemnity?.

I think you are foolish to risk a dependable and long term letting for a modest outlay.
Yes, of course in your shoes I would not want or wish to pay, but consider.. a) How much has your rent earned you so far.b) a stairs is a useful investment in your property and secures continuing goodwill in your business relationship.

Expect a noticeable & consequential deterioration your relationship, they are humans after all.
F.

Last edited:
You should probably find out if they need anything else while you’re at it. Maybe she’d like a new coat and perhaps a new set of golf clubs for him?

Honestly...

As a landlord, I keep my property as close to perfect as I can with nice things in it and in a condition that I’d be happy with myself.

But I draw the line at aspirational stuff that’d be “nice to have”.

If tenants want stuff that’s “nice to have”, they should either fund it themselves or buy their own place!

I have one rental property and the tenants do pretend that they own it, but they pay themselves for everything they put into it.
They’ve been there nine years, I replaced the fridge two years into the tenancy but they’ve paid for everything else since.

When they get new furniture they ask me what do I want to do with the old one. I either collect it or suggest they DoneDeal it.
That's what I do with my Landlord.
If I buy something big then he takes it off the rent (his tax compliance is his concern) so there's no net cost to me.
I don't ask him to pay for kettles, microwaves etc. If there's mould on the bathroom ceiling because the kids don't open the window I remove it. He's an excellent landlord and I'm an excellent tenant. I've had a small rent reduction (unasked for) and no increases in 5 years. We're all happy.

To the OP; tell your tenant to pay for it and take it off the rent.

Last edited:
Back