Should I sign on even though not eligable for benefits?

laila

Just wondering should I be signing for job seekers benefit even though I am not entitled to any benefits at the moment.

Most of my working life I paid a reduced rate of PRSI (semi state - pre 1995) From Jan 2007 I paid regular A class contributions but unfortunately the work ran out at the end of April 2008 and the company is dormant - not folded. Since May my employer has payed me a retainer as I am still the contact address for the business and there are still some things to be done like tax returns etc. I am being paid 40 per week for a half days work which also means that a PRSI contribution is being made. My main long term concern is that I would not miss any contributions reckonable for the contributory old age pension. My understanding is that if I am still unemployed in January 2009 I will be able to claim benefit for the 5 days I am not working. Is this correct. As I said at the start of this I did not sign on as I would not get any benefits but wonder should I be?

Go to your local SW office and ask them if there is any point/benefit to you signing on perhaps? Whether or not you can claim benefit in 2009 depends on your PRSI contribution history. If not you may be able to claim means tested assistance.

Back