Should I move to Ulster bank?

junii

Im with BoI. I received a letter yesterday outlining the charges for ATM transactions et cetera. These transactions are costing too much.
Isn't it correct that Ulster bank has absolutely no charges?
I also have a loan with BoI. Can I transfer this to Ulster bank if I switch?

Does Ulster bank offer online banking? If so, is this free also?

Regarding this letter I got from BoI regarding charges (atm, DDs, SOs et cetera). Is there a new law now that means banks must send you this information? I never received a statement like this before.

Thanks.

BoI offer free banking subject to certain ts and cs (I think it is €500 minimum balance OR 3 online transactions per quarter).

UB free banking is more straightforward, and offers a 'free' overdraft up to €320. But there are still certain charges you have to pay, e.g. when they re-issue your ATM card (every 2 years I think) you are charged €6.

To be honest, I am not a fan of either (Having used both in the past). If you browse/search you will find more discussion of which is the 'best' bank. There is also an [broken link removed]on same (somewhat out of date-new one due soon). Pretty much every bank offers some form of 'free' banking at this stage.

BoI were more than likely informing you of revised bank charges. Their ts and cs more than likely state that all charges are available in their fees brochure etc. They will give you a copy of this if you ask them, but they don't have to send it to you if you don't request it-they may be obliged to inform you of any changes to their fees/charges.

Can you move loans? Maybe. Will Ulster Bank give you a loan to repay the BoI loan? Can you repay the BoI loan (early) without penalty

I moved from AIB to UB becuase of the charges. Have to say I'm pretty happy with them. I also have an account with PTSB. I find both fine until you have to actually call into the bank for anything. PTSB takes ages while UB is always pretty quick. Just make sure you free bank provides a good service.

I have recently opened a personal a/c with UB, (already have joint a/c there) and they gave me a loan no probs. I'm using it to pay off BOI Loan today! I'm going to get rid of the BOI a/c altogether next year when my SSIA is finished as it's being paid out of that a/c and I get get out of that. I'd say switch, UB are been nothing but excellent with me for the short time I've been with them.

I have recently opened a personal a/c with UB, (already have joint a/c there) and they gave me a loan no probs. I'm using it to pay off BOI Loan today! I'm going to get rid of the BOI a/c altogether next year when my SSIA is finished as it's being paid out of that a/c and I get get out of that. I'd say switch, UB are been nothing but excellent with me for the short time I've been with them.

Great! Good for you!
Do the Ulster bank have online banking though? Thats quite important to me.
Did you get a better rate with your Ulster bank loan? Mine is 11.8% with BoI I think. Had to accept it as it needed the money urgently and had no time to shop around/ become member of different institution.

Last edited:
You can try a [broken link removed].

junii said:
Did you get a better rate with your Ulster bank loan? Mine is 11.8% with BoI I think. Had to accept it as it needed the money urgently and had no time to shop around/ become member or different institution.
Be sure to check charges for early clearing of your loan. Should be clearly detailed in the T's&C's.
Worth looking at other sources for the loan to achieve the best deal, it doesn't have to be with your day to day bank to be able to achieve easy payments etc. and certainly not if your looking for the greatest savings.

You can try a [broken link removed].

Be sure to check charges for early clearing of your loan. Should be clearly detailed in the T's&C's.

Will do. Ulster banks online banking looks and feels much nicer than banking 365 I must say.

Ulster banks online banking looks and feels much nicer than banking 365 I must say.

Personally was never a fan of banking365, even when changes were introduced.

I've never heard any feedback on the UB Online banking. I'd be more worried about access and robustness than general appearance. If you need to do something and your online banking won't let you in it can be very frustrating! Hopefully some UB customers who've used the service can give you some real feedback on it.

Have to say I find the AIB online banking very good, but it is a matter of opinion as to which is best.

Great! Good for you!
Did you get a better rate with your Ulster bank loan? Mine is 11.8% with BoI I think. Had to accept it as it needed the money urgently and had no time to shop around/ become member of different institution.

I don't really use online banking much to be honest (must start actually) so can't offer advice on it. UB matched my BOI rate which has always been 6.9 %. I can't believe you're paying that much, I'd advice to you switch loans anyway even if you don't switch banks, that's a scandalous amount to be paying!

I use the UB online (internet) banking. You can pay bills, transfer money, see all transactions, have multiple accounts, all the usual stuff. I am happy with it.
My only issue with it compared to what I had at AIB is that my Credit Card transactions and balance are not available via the internet, though you can get them by phone.

I use the UB online (internet) banking. You can pay bills, transfer money, see all transactions, have multiple accounts, all the usual stuff. I am happy with it.
My only issue with it compared to what I had at AIB is that my Credit Card transactions and balance are not available via the internet, though you can get them by phone.

You've intrigued me now, I should really give it a go! I presume it's for security reasons that you can't get it online? Surely you're not as bad as me and don't actually know your credit card balance, you couldn't be using it THAT much ;)

You've intrigued me now, I should really give it a go! I presume it's for security reasons that you can't get it online? Surely you're not as bad as me and don't actually know your credit card balance, you couldn't be using it THAT much ;)
Just moved house so the old CC is being hit pretty hard:eek:
I did ask UB why I could'nt get my CC balance/transactions and they said that it was just not available. Dont think its a security issue as PTSB and AIB can do it. Maybe others too.

Just moved house so the old CC is being hit pretty hard:eek:
I did ask UB why I could'nt get my CC balance/transactions and they said that it was just not available. Dont think its a security issue as PTSB and AIB can do it. Maybe others too.

Hmm, very strange, you'll just have to try cut it down (or up!). We're the same though, it's like you're afraid to use your laser card in case your money has been swallowed up for various 'new house' direct debits! :D

If you are using your credit card for day to day purchases (even if paying off the balance every month) it is conceivable you might not know the exact balance (just like with your current account). In fact don't Ulster Bank encourage such use by paying your Government Duty of E40 if you purchase something like E5,000 worth of goods using your card during the year?

I think the lack of a credit card balance and history is a significant weakness in the Ulster Bank online banking offering especially considering most the other main banks have been offering this facility for many years now. (They have recently fixed their other main weakness which was an awkward log on procedure which made it difficult to log on from multiple PCs but did not address the credit card issue)

I am an Ulsterbank customer - have been for 15 years and you can't beat them for service. Their online banking is excellent except at weekends when for some reason the overnight transactions from Frida don't update until Saturday evening. There is no charge for online banking - its 24hour online but their telephone banking is 8am to 10pm.

They haev updated their online teller systems recently and this has led to queues inmy local branch but normally they go through the queue very quickly and there is always lots of staff on duty - unlike my local PTSB where you could be waiting for up to 20 minutes to be served yet be at the top of the queue.

I am with UB since 1978 and never had a problem up to this year, when after they announced free banking, I was charged €50 to arrange an overdraft. I queried it given the fact that the website and all advertising stuff says no charge for setting up od, to be told that the charge was applied as I needed the funds quickly!!!!

I'm another satisfied UB customer. I've been with them for about 7 years and no complaints. The online banking is better since they have upgraded it a few months ago...at least you can log on from any pc now. I used to use the telephone banking all the time and always found the staff helpful..ditto for the branch staff.

They offer €40 back if you spend €6k or more on your UB visa card in the year. Its credited as soon as you hit the 6K spend.

The only disadvantage is not being able to access cr card transactions online but there is no problem getting the information over the phone.

very useful opinions here! am thinking of setting up UB account myself - does anyone know how long it takes to set up and activate the account? 24 hours?

thanks,

triplex

If you are using your credit card for day to day purchases (even if paying off the balance every month) it is conceivable you might not know the exact balance (just like with your current account). In fact don't Ulster Bank encourage such use by paying your Government Duty of E40 if you purchase something like E5,000 worth of goods using your card during the year?

Dam099 I was only joking, don't worry!

Triplex, My a/c was up and running immediately, just waiting on the card in the post, like I need another laser! They are very helpful when setting up a new a/c, you don't get interrogated by them, not like some banks I could mention!

Back