Should I get or have got PPI refund?

Discussion in 'Payment Protection Insurance claims' started by Chris., Oct 6, 2015.

1. Chris.

Chris. New Member

Hi,
    My wife and I bought a house back in April 2012. At this time we both got PPI as part of the mortgage process. There were two payments of the same amount taken out monthly. In 2013/2014 she got a letter stating that she was getting a refund and then got a cheque in the post. One of the monthly payments disappeared. So now there is still one payment still coming out monthly. I never got any letter regarding refunds etc. As we both got this as part of the mortgage should I have got a refund also? Is there any reason I wouldnt?

Chris.

2. Gerry Canning

Gerry Canning Frequent Poster

Chris.
    From your post I take it that only one PPI payment should have come out ?
    If so, then one is still coming out and 2nd was refunded.
    Does that not mean all is now OK ?

Given you use term PPI and PPI was largely a scam and you say {as part of mortgage process} I would be concerned you might be miss-sold PPI.There is no requirement to take ppi , I would be surprised if Mr Bank is still up tp shenanigans on PPI , then again (leopards don,t change spots ) etc !

3. Chris.

Chris. New Member

Hi Gerry,
    Thanks for the reply. We had two payments coming out of our joint account. I assume one was my wifes and the other was mine. After she got refunded, one of the payments (my wifes) stopped, but mine is still coming out. Thats why I am curious as to why I am still paying as we both signed up under the same circumstances at the same time!

4. Monbretia

Monbretia Frequent Poster

Pulll out your documents and see what you signed up for.

Gerry Canning likes this.
  5. Chris.

Chris. New Member

Yeah the docs show two PPI policies for the same amount. During the meeting with the person in the bank at the time I'm pretty sure it sounded like we had to have cover. One of the documents does mention optional. But I just dont understand how my wifes was refunded yet mine was not.

6. Gerry Canning

As per Monbretia .

DEFINATELY have a jaundiced look at what you signed.

It appears to me you signed .. here ..here.. and here ..?

Since you say PPI , do not assume you are covered for what as a layman you might think you are.

(sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I just don,t trust ppi)

7. Chris.

Chris. New Member

Yeah I remember signing things like that in the office with the guy at the bank. We were given copies of the documents (which show the ppi as optional) then but think everything was signed in the office. As I said, I'm confused by the fact that my wife got refunded and I didnt given both were the exact same circumstance. It was 3 years ago so I dont remember the full details but pretty sure we thought we needed the cover.

8. Monbretia

I don't see why you would have had a separate policy each and not a joint one but is there any reason why she would not have been eligible for this cover? Maybe the bank actually did do a review of their issued policies and discovered your wife was not eligible to take it out? Did the letter not state why there was a refund.

Or was the same policy set up twice and the one you have is actually a joint one?

9. Chris.

Chris. New Member

The document shows two columns for PPI, one for her and one for me, both the same amount. The letter that she got just said that it was being looked at as part of the review. I went throught the eligibility details and there isnt anything that would rule her out. Maybe it was a mistake and that the single charge is correct. But that means the documentation is wrong too. I plan on calling the bank to see what the deal was. Cheers for replies ;)

10. Monbretia

Don't forget to let us know the explanation :)

11. Chris.

Chris. New Member

I was in contact with the bank. They are looking into it now. As far as they could see there in no PPI on the mortgage. They were able to see that my wife received correspondence saying that she could get a refund (which she did) but I got correspondence saying everything was done properly, (I dont remember getting that letter) and the woman on the phone wasnt sure how my wife got a refund and mine was apparently above board given they were set up in the same circumstance for the same reason. So she is going to go through it and contact the company that the PPI is with and see whats going on.

12. Gerry Canning

Chris ,, STOP now.
    From what you write you have been caught in a classic PPI scam by Mr Banker.
    So Mr Banker who sold you (I think duff PPI ) want to contact the company PPI is with ?

Read some of the many threads on PPI .
    I am inclined to give you good odds you have been scammed,by Mr Bank.

STOP phoning them , keep everything in writing .
    I expect you will get YOUR funds back.
    Have a laymans read of what you THINK you might be covered for.
    Send me a private note (if you want)