Should i be paying DIRT as a non-resident on a Deposit account?

H

hayeser61

Hi there, I reside in New York for the past 10 years and have had an Anglo Fixed Deposit account to which i make monthly lodgements.
In the past year or so, i have begun to be charged DIRT oln my account. This usec not be the case.
I am in Ireland currently and met with Anglo yesterday and they informed me that the reason is that they now treat both non-resident and resident accounts the same so there is DIRT charged for all.
I want to move my account to a bank that doesnt follow this procedure and thus won't charge me.
Would anybody be able to provide assistance?

Are you liable for US tax on deposit interest income? If so then perhaps you can get a credit in repect of DIRT witheld by the Irish authorities? Probably need advice from a tax advisor with knowledge of the two jurisdictions' tax codes.

Take a look at:-

[broken link removed]

Then call the Revenue help-line if required.

There is a good index to the revenue doc. If you go to page 73 you will see a Form for Declaration of Nin Residency ,you can get this either by ringing the number for Revenue Forms,it is Form 37

This needs to be given to your bank, it is the law then that they cannot deduct DIrt unless they have some basis on which to doubt your non residency

Back