Sharing proceeds of investment

Villagefood

Can anyone explain to me how this works. It's a long story that involves my partners dad.

Basically his dad passed away almost 12 years ago and there was some money left behind. Two family members in particular decided they wanted to invest the money (my partners dad and his sister, who happens to be a solicitor) so they invested there share of the money. However, this sister / solicitor also took money from work colleagues that was also put into the investment so in total there is around 5 investors .

Fast forward to 2020 and it's alleged (from what my partner tells me) that the investment is now worth a few million and all investors have decided to cash out.

My partners dad however was never named as one of the investors. He agreement / plan was seemingly that she will just share the money with him when she gets her share.

As of last month, she had told him that all paperwork / documents were sorted and that because the investors had offspring they were sharing the money with. They decided to bring in a peacemaker to share the money fairly among everyone the investors had named.

It was alleged it would take 3 days per person for each person to receive their share but 3 weeks later and there's no evidence of anyone at all receiving anything.

Because my partners dad left it to his sister / solicitor to take care of the investment. He only knows what she is telling him. They only communicate via phone as she lives in another part of the world but she has sent him a photo of a document which appears to be stamped by the organization they invested in and the document basically addresses the person in charge of the investment and states that there is difficulty in distributing the money to everyone in a timely fashion and they have decided to hold a meeting and discuss alternative options with regards the best way to distribute the money.

However the update after this alleged meeting was that everyone just needs to stay patient and wait but it's another week later and there is still no transfer?

Does anyone here know if the above sounds strange. Is this normal procedure etc If it was me i would be seeking legal advice but my partners dad trusts his sister and is remaining patient. Me and my partner however are extremely skeptical and beginning to wonder if he's somehow being conned?

I get that the from the time of transfer to when the money is actively available in his account may take time given the amount of money but surely just processing the transfer shouldn't take long?? Especially when it's alleged that all paperwork is sorted and an oath was sworn to state that the money isnt the proceeds of crime etc

Anyone?

Iam most interested in knowing how long it takes to process your return?

For instance. My understanding is that if someone invests money and years later they "cash out" for want of a better word. How long before that money is available to them??

My gfs dad is constantly being told that all paperwork is sorted and the money is ready to be transfered 'next week' then next week comes and theres an excuse for why theres a delay and then the following week comes and the same thing happens all over. Apparently its taking longer because theres so much money involved (millions apparently) and because each person receiving money has nominated family members they want to receive a share so theres a lot of people being looked after / receiving transfers we are told?

Does this seem accurate ?

We feel that something is off about it all and are concerned that he is being lied to but we have no idea why his own family would lie to him?

Private investments are very fact specific. If you feel things sound a bit dodgy discussing this with a lawyer in the jurisdiction that the investment vehicle is in is the way to go.

Private investments are very fact specific. If you feel things sound a bit dodgy discussing this with a lawyer in the jurisdiction that the investment vehicle is in is the way to go.
His sister is a lawyer and its her that took care of the proceedings/paperwork etc

This is why its difficult because he doesnt want to cause conflict and wants to trust her but she seems to be unreliable to say the least. After weeks of saying the money was coming and then excuse after excuse each time it never manifested. She eventually said there was a hold up but that in the meantime she could transfer a small amount of money to tie him over until the rest arrives but this small amount of money (few thousand) has yet to be transfered either.

Where do we draw the line and say enough is enough and what are his options? I have recommended he seek legal advice from a solicitor but he seems reluctant too because his sister is a solicitor.

He should set out all the facts in an email to her, make his requests for information and ask her for a written response.

Surely only the people named in the Investment are the ones to get the cash. It would then be up to each individual who they share it with. It would seem from your post that the sister/solicitor has informed him that they are taking the cash - so it would appear that she is not hiding anything. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the investment her work colleagues had and that should be their share of the windfall! He should say to her he doesn't understand what is happening and ask for a written report.

Surely only the people named in the Investment are the ones to get the cash. It would then be up to each individual who they share it with. It would seem from your post that the sister/solicitor has informed him that they are taking the cash - so it would appear that she is not hiding anything. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the investment her work colleagues had and that should be their share of the windfall! He should say to her he doesn't understand what is happening and ask for a written report.

My thoughts exactly. It all seems extremely unprofessional. I mean he was told he was going to receive money around 4 or 5 weeks ago and then he was told "oh sorry, it might be longer as each person receiving money takes 3 days per person to sort" and then 2 weeks later he was told "nobody has received anything yet because they are trying to figure out a faster way to transfer the money to all everyone involved in one go" and then he was told "its going to take at least 3 more weeks so in the meantime they are going to send a partial payment of 10,000 which you will receieve this week" This "partial payment" never arrived either.

We cannot understand it at all. It makes no sense

Back