Share options while working abroad - who gets the tax?

lfcjfc

It is probably a long shot that somebody here has experienced the same issue but here goes:

I work for the same company here in Ireland that I worked for in the UK for a period up to 2004. I was granted share options with that company while I worked in the UK. Recently, I have began to exercise these options and as required here in Ireland, I have completed form RTSO1 to pay income tax on the gains realised. However, I have today learned from Finance dept where I worked in the UK that I am actually liable for tax to the UK Inland revenue on gains on any share options that were awarded to me while I worked there in the UK. This now puts me in the position, that I have paid tax twice on the gains realised from the share options. Surely, it cant be right to have to pay tax twice on the same gains? has anybody else that has moved countries been in the same situation?

It is probably a long shot that somebody here has experienced the same issue but here goes:

I work for the same company here in Ireland that I worked for in the UK for a period up to 2004. I was granted share options with that company while I worked in the UK. Recently, I have began to exercise these options and as required here in Ireland, I have completed form RTSO1 to pay income tax on the gains realised. However, I have today learned from Finance dept where I worked in the UK that I am actually liable for tax to the UK Inland revenue on gains on any share options that were awarded to me while I worked there in the UK. This now puts me in the position, that I have paid tax twice on the gains realised from the share options. Surely, it cant be right to have to pay tax twice on the same gains? has anybody else that has moved countries been in the same situation?
You may be entitled to a tax credit under the Ireland/UK double taxation agreement. You may need independent, professional advice on this.

Irish Revenue links:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

HM Revenue & Customs links:

Double Taxation agreements

Back