sewer pipe and foundations

kerinsp

Hi,
I dug out the foundation for a garage and the waste pipe to the septic tank crosses the foundtation diagonally at one spot. Is it ok just to pour in the concrete here or do I need to box off the pipe in some way?

Paul

I thought all pipes could not got under any type of foundation? I remember this from planning an extension years ago (but not going through with it). What happens if you get a leak and find the source under the foundation? It may be best to go round the foundation which cause a little extra work.

I am sure Carpenter will correct me if I am wrong! He seems to be in the know on such subjects

Going around it would be a nightmare! I'd be willing to risk it.
I did see yer man on the tv once (tommy walshe) put in foundations for an extension and there was a sewer pipe crossing at right angles. He just put 2 blocks either side of it and on top and filled her up then with concrete.
In my case the pipe runs diagonally across, and its a garage not part of the house. (would a garage wall (cavity blocks) be a bit lighter than 4" block walls with a cavity?)

What height/depth would you have between the top of the pipe and the top of the foundation?

If the pipe exits the house below the foundation and falls away towards the septic tank then surely it would be lower then the foundation on the proposed extension!

Putting concrte directly onto pipes is not recommended. It may well cause cracking. Put a good layer of gravel on first to allow a bit of flexability. Check out the Wavin website for guidance.

Back