Severence Pay

K

Kitching

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help me or give me some suggestions in relation to the amount of redundancy one should seek from an employer who decides to pull out of Ireland while currently doing profitable business. I have worked for an American Firm although the Irish operation is a registered Irish company for 2.5 years. They have offered basic Statuary Redundancy which as we know 2 weeks per year of service plus one bonus week. I am told through a friend that in the case of a company moving out of Ireland while still making a current profit that there is precidence where one can expect a much better severence package. I am on a good salary and because of dependants and outlay I need to secure the best deal possible for both me and my family.

I would love to hear from anybody who can give me some direction here as the company winds up the end of the month April 2005.

Thank you in advance

some useful info on the Dept of Enterprise web site

http://www.entemp.ie/employment/redundancy/

How big is your company and how many are being made redundant?

If there are a lot of you - are you unionised - if not then chances are a union won't take your case at this late stage .... but if you know someone who knows a union rep then they may take the case "off the record" for a small fee.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you should try get lots of extras included in the deal eg VHI paid 'til end of year, company paying for out-placement service, mobile phone, laptop etc etc,

Thanks for the reply and link John. There only a few of us and no there is no union . Not sure what you meant by "company paying for out-placement of service".

Unregistered said:
Not sure what you meant by "company paying for out-placement of service".

I think he means getting the company to provide some time, resources, money etc. for helping people to get new work elsewhere possibly including getting a career advice consultant in to help with career advice, CV reviews, mock interviews etc. and allowing them to use company resources (computers, printers, stationery etc.) to do CVs etc. Some companies help workers being laid off in this way.

Thanks for that. I now understand what it means .

Back