Setting up a website

I found host Ireland to be quite good. I paid 100 euros (+vat) for space and domain name. (.ie: more expenisve than .com's) Their support is brilliant too. Theres a guy called ryan who has helped me with alot of my stupid questions.

In terms of web design, i went to redlemon.ie. Their prices are brilliant and they produce some really nice websites. They also did my logo, business card and printed them for me for the best prices i could find.

Why go for the expensive Irish web hosting companies unless you want a .ie domain ?

Have a look here www.godaddy.com

At godaddy it costs 6.70 euro to register a .com domain (inclusive of all charges with exchange rate factored in). Everything you buy there benefits from the good exchange rate from euro to dollar . Its the biggest domain registrar in the states and the worlds largest I think. They make websites for small businesses too but if you simply buy the domain you get free emails at your domain and other stuff thrown in like a very basic webpage.

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ were also reasonably cheap last time I looked.

Google have also brought out hosting. Googles basic package (with free emails and a webpage to display your contact details) is free:

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/editions_spe.html

Bottom line is dont spend 30 to 100 euro for a .com registration when they're available for less than 7 euro !!!

Why go for the expensive Irish web hosting companies unless you want a .ie domain ?

Not all Irish hosting companies are expensive and there are many reasons why they are more attractive to deal with than faceless US corporations

Bottom line is dont spend 30 to 100 euro for a .com registration when they're available for less than 7 euro !!!

There's no need to pay that kind of money for a .com registration. I did this up recently:

Not all Irish hosting companies are expensive and there are many reasons why they are more attractive to deal with than faceless US corporations

There's no need to pay that kind of money for a .com registration. I did this up recently:

I still dont see the point of paying €9.98* (including VAT and Tax) for a .com

(the cheapest I could find on your list. The price to buy a dot com with an Irish host must have come down hugely since I last looked)

when I can purchase one for €6.70 at godaddy.com and get stuff like free email and free webpage thrown in etc

And all thats involved in my credit card, my email address and 10 minutes. Its not that complicated and I dont need a face at the other end for this transaction. The only time when I feel the need for a face is when I dont know the company or am worried about trusting them. In this case godaddy is extremely well known and trusted.

I still dont see the point of paying €9.98* (including VAT and Tax) for a .com
(the cheapest I could find on your list)

when I can purchase one for €6.70 at godaddy.

And all thats involved in my credit card, my email address and 10 minutes. Its not that complicated and I dont need a face at the other end for this transaction.
The domain name is just the starting point. Without reliable hosting it's not going to be of much use to you. And you will find cheaper than 9.98 on that list by the way.

The domain name is just the starting point. Without reliable hosting it's not going to be of much use to you. And you will find cheaper than 9.98 on that list by the way.

In the world of E Commerce theres no more reason to be tied to any physical location.
I'm all for buying Irish if I can but which one is cheaper than godaddy's approx €6.70 ? And why wouldnt a huge corporation be able to provide reliable hosting ?
And yes the domain name is just the starting point but if you can find the same discount for hosting elsewhere in my opinion its definitely worth a look especially if someone is short of money and beginning a start up a business on borrowed money.

I'm all for buying irish if I can but which one is cheaper than godaddy's approx €6.70 ?

None are going to match their price inc. VAT

And why wouldnt a huge corporation be able to provide reliable hosting ?

I can think of many reasons why choosing a local host will be beneficial. If you are dealing with a US host you will just be another number in another timezone.

On a practical level this means that you won't get to deal with the primary staff, as they won't be working the night shift. (West coast is 8 hours behind Ireland)

Hosting companies tend to conduct maintenance outside office hours, so that means it will probably be within office hours Irish time.

From an SEO point of view you should always host as close to your market as possible.

From a technical perspective you'll get better connection rates / speeds
if you use an Irish host that peers at Inex (http://www.inex.ie)

And yes the domain name is just the starting point but if you can find the same discount for hosting elsewhere in my opinion its definitely worth a look especially if someone is short of money and beginning a start up a business on borrowed money.

You can get a perfectly good hosting plan and domain name from an Irish provider for about 50 euro a year. If you can't afford that then there's something seriously wrong with your business plan.

Hi all
Does anyone know the process of setting up a website.
I found a company called blacknight Solutions that would register the Domain eg ....... .ie for 35 euros a year and they will offer their basic hosting for 150 a year. Is this value for money???

Well the first post didnt inspire me when I first read the thread
35 euro for a Dot Com or is that for an .ie ? :confused:

Hosting companies tend to conduct maintenance outside office hours, so that means it will probably be within office hours Irish time....
On a practical level this means that you won't get to deal with the primary staff, as they won't be working the night shift. (West coast is 8 hours behind Ireland)

New York is only 4 hours behind. And many companies guarantee 99% uptime

From a technical perspective you'll get better connection rates / speeds
if you use an Irish host that peers at Inex (http://www.inex.ie)

If its as fast as my amazon,youtube, gmail which isnt hosted in Ireland why worry ?

I would hope an Irish host can do a good deal for someone one day ;)

Well the first post didnt inspire me when I first read the thread
35 euro for a Dot Com or is that for an .ie ? :confused:

Probably a .IE

If its as fast as my amazon,youtube, gmail which isnt hosted in Ireland why worry ?

Amazon is hosted in Ireland :)

I would hope an Irish host can do a good deal for someone one day ;)

A lot of us already do. We might not be trying to go bankrupt in the process, unlike some companies ....

Back