Setting up a savings a/c for Godchild?

C

cod06

Hi
I wanted to set up a savings account for my Godchild and was wondering are there any specific ones out there. I know when I was youger someone had opened a post office account for me but I was hoping for something a bit better if poss.
I'd probably only stick money in it on birthdays and Christmas but the idea is it wouldn't be touched for years 18 hopefully.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Cod

What sort of timeframe are you considering? If it's likely to be c. 5 years or more then it might be worth considering a low charges unit linked fund rather than any sort of deposit account. Inflation and DIRT will eat into deposit returns quite possibly making the real return marginal, zero or even negative (thus eroding your capital). Of course returns (and your capital) will not be guaranteed with a unit linked fund but over the medium/long term chances are that your returns will outstrip deposits. On the other hand many unit linked offerings provide a range of funds to choose from with different risk/reward profiles. For what it's worth I recently started a €100 p.m. regular savings policy with no charges other than the 1% annual management fee.

Back