Setting ivy on gable end of house ???

Betsy Og

Have house in country, new but kinda old style theme, getting ivy on gable end would make it nearly invisible to anyone (blending with the environment 'n' all that).

Is this a good idea to get ivy growing on a house wall?? Will the ivy break down the plaster on the wall or will a creeper 'grid' do the biz?? Thinking of auburn colour ivy. I know it'll be work to control it around windows are probably murder when, if ever, it reaches the fascia&soffit.

Judging by the ivy that we planted 10 years ago against our back wall I would not be surprised if it could do structural damage over time. It also harbours lots and lots of snails just in case your garden will be nearby and affected by them!

Look for an alternative creeper. Ivy destroyed the plaster on my mother in laws house (gable wall), cost a lot of money to fix

Thanks
Bert

Try Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinqefolia) (Quinquifolia means five-lobed leaves) It has only tiny suckers to hold on with and is lightweight - shouldn't do any damage. Easy to pull off windows etc where not wanted. Turns a wonderful wine red in autumn. Make sure not to get Parthenocissus Tricuspidata (3-leaved and much heavier stems)

All climbers (all plants actually!) harbour slugs snails spiders and grubs and this makes them useful and attractive nesting-sites for birds. I've read conflicting views on ivy over the years. Generally the concensus is that they do not cause any damage to walls or fences as they are not using them for nutrition. I remember one t.v. gardening programme suggested the myth about ivy destroying fences and walls arose from a confusion of ivy with mistletoe which is of course associated with "holly-and-ivy" at Christmas! If you go for Virginia creeper you'll have autumn leaf-drop. Deciduous ivy also has the advantage that if you compost the autumn leaf-fall separately from your general compost-bin they produce a wondurful humus to enrich the rest of your garden.

Love ivy on walls myself, but would never set it on my house because once, years ago, I saw a rat climb up ivy on a relative house and try to get in the window. Uuurgh!

Ivy is an evergreen and therefore is one of the few plants that help to protect the structure of your house by keeping the ground dry. It consumes -like any plant- water and evaporates it . If you go for a leaf shedding plant to cover your wall this effect is nullified . Most of our rain we get at winter when the ground water level is high anyhow . Cutting down existing ivy might result in a damp wall . A damp wall exposed to frost will sooner or later crack, the plaster will come off first .

Back