Separation Agreement & Legal Fees- West Dublin

D

Dublin2006

I have received a quote from a solicitor in West Dublin in respect of marriage separation as follows...

Legal fee of 1,200 euro + VAT for drafting a separation agreement, affidavit of means and Affidavit of welfare. Also, the solicitor claimed they will advise me of the legal provisions particular to my individual
mediation agreement and the legal requirements and time limits in
relation to a divorce.

The same solicitor offered a fee of 1,800 euro + VAT if they look after the interests of both myself and my wife. (i.e. each party will have a separate solicitor from the same office)

Transferring the family home into my sole name- 1,000 euro + Outlays + VAT.

Are these fees typical??

Hi,

I only have second hand knowledge of this, but I would think that is a reasonable quote.
However, my friend had a similar quote, then when the case went for a court hearing, the solicitor made my friend believe a barrister had to be present. The barrister fees for 2 days work easily doubled or tripled the original quote.
They since found out that it is not necessary to have a barrister present and this is a scam used by solicitors to earn more money as they get a backhander from the barrister.
As I said before, it's not my experience and I'm not a legal expert, but I'm just telling you this so you can be prepared if you hear the same story from your solicitor.

Good luck.

Fees seem extremely reasonable. A little low, if anything.

If it is a straightforward separation agreement there is not need to go to court.

>They since found out that it is not necessary to have a barrister present and this is a scam used by solicitors to earn more money as they get a backhander from the barrister.<

That, my friend, is absolute tosh. Substantiate it please.

I think it would be extremely foolish for a law firm to act on both sides of a separation. While there might be some extremely civil and amicable separations where this would work, I certainly would not give my business to a firm which actively encouraged this option.

the digger said:

I cannot substantiate it with hard evidence, but I can assure you that it happened and when the solicitor was confronted, they apologised, admitted the barrister was not necessary and agreed to reduce the fees.

This obviously is not meant to be a generalization across the profession, it's just something to be wary of and I've had conversations with others that agree the practice exists.

the digger said:
Please note the . By all means challenge people to back up assertions/claims but please do so politely. Thanks.

Back