Separated, Living with Partner

Husssy

Hi all, looking for some advice if possible. I am separated from my wife, house has been sold and i am coming out with about 70K( my ex came out significantly better off- another story). I am currently renting with my partner and she is pushing me to use proceeds of house to finance a house for us. i dont mean to sound mean or pessimistic but as they once bitten twice shy.She said we should take out a joint mortgage .Can we sign some type of contract(she said she would agree to such)stating that i had introduced the 70K in the event of a breakdown in the relationship. Personally i would prefer to buy the house in my own name and would then sign over in event of marriage. Dont wished to be judged just need some advice, much appreciated.

I think you're pretty clear in your own head what way you would prefer to do it - both ways have their own merits, these things are always based on everyone's own individual circumstances. I suppose the down side is that your current partner will feel upset if you won't buy jointly. Doing the agreement is a very good start if thats the road you go but in my own view you would be in a stronger position if the property was in your sole name, if the relationship did break down and there was a dispute.

This is like a flip flop answer - on the one hand and then on the other?

mf

Back