"Sensory Dining Voucher" but restaurant not doing sensory dining anymore.

Pablo74

Hello,
My wife and I recieved a voucher 2 years ago for a 5 course "Sensory Dining" meal in a well know Dublin restaurant. When we enquired about a reservation we were told that we would be contacted when the next Sensory dining night was on..... It was never put on again.
The restaurant has now stopped the S-D'ing nights altogether and we have been told that the voucher can be used as normal.
Are we in our right to get the money redeemed. Not sounding greedy but we would prefer to buy a voucher for an other restaurant. The couple who gave us the voucher have no issue with this.
Where do we stand ?
Pablo74

Most vouchers don't last 2 years so I'd say it would be difficult to get a refund of money. I think the fact that they are willing to still accept the voucher is good of them and you should use it for an "ordinary" meal.

Most vouchers don't last 2 years so I'd say it would be difficult to get a refund of money. I think the fact that they are willing to still accept the voucher is good of them and you should use it for an "ordinary" meal.

+1

In my view the restaurant are behaving reasonably and it would be unreasonable to seek a refund.

When we enquired about a reservation we were told that we would be contacted when the next Sensory dining night was on..... It was never put on again.

Vouchers - like money, but not as useful. I think you have an argument for a refund, given they didn't follow through. They may well be within the terms and conditions of the voucher though, and you'll probably have to take their word for it, unless these are printed on the back.

So, you can make a polite point, and try appealing to their good nature. Failing that, I can't see you have a case you can take elsewhere. It's worth remembering that if all else fails, and you have to redeem the voucher with them, it would be nice to be still on friendly terms with them, or you'll have an uncomfortable night pondering the potential for unobtrusive revenge available to restaurant staff.

Ok but the voucher was bought for "the sensory dining" night which they do not run with anymore. By that I mean, no more of those special nights were held.
Why should we lose out and have to settle for an ordinary night when they sold a voucher for a special evening.

What were the T&Cs of the vouchers? Did they give any guarantees as to when these nights would occur?

Also, did you buy the voucher or receive it as a gift?

Hello,
My wife and I recieved a voucher 2 years ago for a 5 course "Sensory Dining" meal in a well know Dublin restaurant. When we enquired about a reservation we were told that we would be contacted when the next Sensory dining night was on..... It was never put on again.
The restaurant has now stopped the S-D'ing nights altogether and we have been told that the voucher can be used as normal.
Are we in our right to get the money redeemed. Not sounding greedy but we would prefer to buy a voucher for an other restaurant. The couple who gave us the voucher have no issue with this.
Where do we stand ?
Pablo74

Sorry Pablo74, but I also think that it's the height of rudeness for you to raise this issue with the couple that gave you the voucher. Outrageous behaviour in my view.

Sorry Pablo74, but I also think that it's the height of rudeness for you to raise this issue with the couple that gave you the voucher. Outrageous behaviour in my view.
Gekko, your post seems to me to be a bit judgemental. Given that Sensory Dining (i.e. a meal designed to be eaten blindfolded) is fairly unusual, it's quite likely that the couple who gave the voucher were keen to know how Pablo74 got on with it!

I have to agree with Pablo74, the voucher was for a particular experience and the restaurant has not had this experience available since the voucher was issued, so it doesn't seem right to me that he should have to accept an "ordinary" dinner.

Perhaps a call to the National Consumer Agency (1890 432 432) might clarify the situation?

Personally I think its unfair for to expect a restaurant to carry on a "special" event / experience for 2 years after it started just so that the OP can use the voucher.

Fair play to the restaurant for not having a 12 month expiry like nearly every other voucher and instead of being complained about, they should be congratulated for this.

Times have changed in the restaurant sector - if a type of dining is not working a restaurant MUST change to stay afloat and a 2 year time lag is not an unreasonable time to expect such change to happen.

If the voucher was only a few months old, it would be a different situation.

Personally I think its unfair for to expect a restaurant to carry on a "special" event / experience for 2 years after it started just so that the OP can use the voucher.

Fair play to the restaurant for not having a 12 month expiry like nearly every other voucher and instead of being complained about, they should be congratulated for this.

Times have changed in the restaurant sector - if a type of dining is not working a restaurant MUST change to stay afloat and a 2 year time lag is not an unreasonable time to expect such change to happen.

If the voucher was only a few months old, it would be a different situation.

You missing the point Mcaul, as Teetree said the voucher was bought for a specific dining experence. The reason why the voucher has not been used in 2 years is because the Restaurant has failed to put on the Sensory dining night. Now the restaurant have disclosed that the Sensory dining nights are not being continued.
As for Gekko's judgement of me ....... :rolleyes:

Back