Semi-detatched House

mathepac

I have the misfortune to live in a semi, with the adjoining property being rented privately.

Over the last few months I have had a number of issues with the tenants, some of which have been resolved, but unfortunately not amicably, needing to resort to calls to the Guards.

The latest "intrusion" , if that's the accurate term, is that a television aerial has been installed on the chimneys that the houses share. I had no contact from either the landlord, whom I have never met, nor the tenants about permission or agreement to do this, despite the fact that the supports for the aerial are on my side of the chimney, and the installer would have needed access to my side of the roof to do the work. My own Sky dish is attached to the back wall of my house.

What are my rights here? Can I ask to have it removed or can I instruct an engineer to remove it?

The house, the landlord and the tenancy are not registered with the Private Residencies Tenancies Board and as far as I can establish, the landlord resides outside this jurisdiction.

Even though the tenancy may not be registered with the PRTB, it could still be worth talking to them and subsequently writing to them. I had a similar problem with neighbours (who were in a rented house) and contacted the PRTB to try to trace the landlord. They said to write to them with details of the case to enable them to decide whether or not to release the landlord's name. They also said thatm if the tenancy is not registered, they would then follow up the matter from an enforcement point of view.

There are a few other threads on Ask About Money in relation to tracing landlords that I found helpful also. This is one of them:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=39524

I think there may be one or two more also.

(By the way, I eventually resolved the problem with my neighbours by talking directly with them - it took many attempts though.)

Back